Rock Lee

Rock Lee had his regrets

Has.

As hard as it is to believe, or maybe it is completely believable, but Rock Lee regretted many things.

He regretted pushing Sakura Haruno to her breaking point. He regretted doubting Sakura. He regretted leaving the home he held such a passion for, just to retrieve a man he had known for a week, years ago. He had too many regrets, he was scared he would no longer be able to bear the weight.

He dreamed.

::

Dosu anticipated his attack. He would never win in a battle of speed, so he resorted to his sound. He aimed the attachment on his arm at Lee, grinning. Rock Lee, realizing his defeat, glanced at Sakura momentarily in panic. He had promised to protect until the day he died. Just before he fell to the floor unconscious, one though went through his head:

Maybe he was the one who needed protecting.

::

"LEE!" Naruto and Kiba barged into his apartment, glancing around frantically until they looked down and noticed Lee doing push ups. Lee looked up and grinned brightly.

"Yosh?"

"We are all gathering up to leave Konoha and find Sasuke! You in?"

Lee stood up, determined. "Of course! Is my Lotus Blossom there already? I shall go!"

Before Lee could begin to run, Naruto and Kiba blocked him, Naruto looking especially awkward.

"Lee..." Naruto began.

"She isn't coming." Kiba cut him off, staring straight into Lee's eyes with zero regret. "She'll just bring us all down. Come on, Ino is already waiting for us." Kiba shook his head and turned away, walking out through the open apartment door.

"Naruto, is this true?"  Lee turned to Naruto desperately. "We aren't really leaving Sakura behind, are we?"

Naruto looked away, squirming awkwardly and rubbing the back of his head. "Lee..."

"Think about it. She isn't weak, we ah, we just gotta' protect her. She'll be safer here."

Lee amended and nodded, turning around and beginning to pack.

It was for the best.

::

They were traveling through the Fire Country. It had been months since he last saw his flower, but he continued to remind himself.

It was for the best.

Sakura would be safe, and once they returned with Sasuke, she would be happy. They had stopped to camp, and Lee decided to fetch the water for everyone.