Chapter 10 - Lockpicking Under Pressure

Jeongyeon looked at the two youngest people in the room. She couldn't believe it still. She has heard of that case before, but it wasn't her case. And with how busy her own cases were, she didn't get to keep track of the rape and murder case of Jeon Somi. When she was looking at police files one time, she saw that Ms. Jeon's case was resolved when the mutilated dead body of the murderer was found along with the recording of his confession. But now wasn't the time for this. Maybe when we can get out of here, we can get them convicted. First Jihyo, and now, these two. I have too many arrests to make. 

She went to the wall and the others followed. Maybe afraid to be in the presence of Chaeyoung and Tzuyu. She inserted the screwdriver to the lock first, and then the scissors, and already she can feel the difference the lock was much easier to pick. Now she only needs to find the right position. Everybody shut up as she began. Jeongyeon was nervous but she must do it, for their sake.

Not one minute into the lockpicking, and the walls began moving inwards again. Everyone panicked.

"Don't. We need everyone's strength. See if you can push against it." Jeongyeon commanded everyone. And they did.

"IT WORKS!" Dahyun exclaimed but immediately shut up. "okay maybe only a little."

The walls slowed their movement, but it was still moving.

"Come on come on come on." Jeongyeon muttered as she picked the lock. She heard a grunt. And saw the two, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu pushing against the wall as well.

"The other walls are stopping a little too. I think they are all connected to move in tandem!" Jihyo told everyone.

"Jeongyeon I don't think we can hold this long. We'll get tired too."

"I KNOW!" Jeongyeon picked faster tried to find the right clicks because she hears it. She was sweating.

"COME ON JEONGYEON!" Sana screamed. She was straining against the force of the wall.

Jeongyeon' s hands were failing her. She was desperate. She sweating. She was racing against time. She can feel the walls moving a little faster. The others are losing their initial strength. Come on Yoo Jeongyeon you can do it! She encouraged herself. You've done this many times before! Jeongyeon come on. She can hair the others screaming at her. But she can't understand. Her vision and hearing was tunneled focused on the lockpicking only. The positions and the click of the locks. The movement of the doors keep getting faster, the others are losing strength. Click. Click. Click went the lock. Her hands were sweaty. They were shaking too. Click. the wall stopped.

I did it? Jeongyeon wondered in her mind.

"You did it!" Nayeon screamed and the others joined. They smothered her in a group hug while jumping. I did it? Jeongyeon wondered again. But shouldn't something happen? She found that Mina wasn't celebrating with them. Her attention was fixed somewhere else. What is she looking at? Jeongyeon stopped jumping with the others and followed Mina's line of sight...

Oh.

I didn't.

[earlier]

Chaeyoung followed Mina's movement as she followed others to the wall. She can't believe Mina's choice. Heck she can't believe that no one jumped at the chance to finally leave this place by killing the murderer. Her. Her time of contemplation was interrupted as she saw the wall moving and the others were pushing against it. She pulled up Tzuyu who was shocked. Slapped her face.

"We have to help them. It's the least we can do." She told her before dragging Tzuyu to the wall. They both pushed as well.

She was pushing beside Mina. She looked at her. She was sweating. Straining against the force of the wall. If her strength wasn't needed, Chaeyoung would have told her to stay aside. But as it stands, that wasn't a choice anymore. Everyone was having a hard time.

"Look Mina I'm sorry for lying to you." Chaeyoun said despite the situation.

"Not. Now. Chae!" Mina uttered with force.

"Right. Just so you know. What I have felt and feel for you is real. And I'd do anything for you." Chaeyoung said. But it seems her words were lost in the moment. She kept pushing. This time with her back. In her line of sight. She saw something. Is that what I think it is? She asked herself. She stopped contributing to the force and got close to the object.

She picked it up.

"What are you doing?" She heard. It was Tzuyu.

"What are YOU doing. Go help the others there!" She replied.

"No. What are you doing?" Tzuyu persisted.

Chaeyoung sighed. "What does it look like I'm doing?" she replied as she opened up the butterfly knife. How ironic, I was the one who found this. Tzuyu knelt in front of her

"Don't."

"Have you forgotten? The murderer must die so you all could get out." Chae said.

She looked at Mina one final time. Goodbye my love. I know I did love you despite the short time I have been with you. She smiled bitterly. "For the life I've taken." she whispered.

And she slit her throat.

Tzuyu looked down. 

She took the knife as well.

And plunged it into her heart. Twisted it. She grunted at the pain. Tears flowed. 

"For the lies I've built my life upon, and the death of your girl". In her last moments, Chaeyoung managed to be shocked by Tzuyu's sacrifice as well. They watched each other until the life in their eyes were no more and their bodies fell limp to the ground.

Mina looked at Chaeyoung's lifeless corpse. Why? She remembered what Chaeyoung's last words to her were despite her not replying because of the pressure. What I have felt and feel for you is real the words reached her ears despite the strain she was in. I'd do anything for you. The words echoed in her mind. She immediately ran to Chaeyoung and knelt on her body. She checked the wound on her throat. Desperately felt for any pulse. Heartbeat. Anything. Please please. I know you weren't the perfect girl. But I have loved you in the short time we knew each other. Please please Chaeyoung comeback to me. She doesn't know whether she just thought that or spoken it. All she knows is that she needs Chaeyoung.

"Chae! 

Please. Please. 

Don't leave me. 

Please. I wanted us to escape here together. Please. 

You did monstrous things for revenge. But you're not a monster. 

Please cub come back to me. Please. 

You can't just make me fall for you and die on me like this you selfish prick!" Mina tried everything. But Chaeyoung has lost too much blood for that.

Mina screamed in agony. She has opened up her heart only for it to be torn apart again. Piece by piece.