Chapter 11 - Drained of hope

Minutes later, Mina was still cradling Chaeyoung's body. All that development between them gone in one slit of the throat. Many scenarios went down her head, hundreds of what ifs. What if I hadn't ignored her? What if I hadn't just opened my heart at all? What if, what if I hadn't been so cowardly and proceeded to shoot someone, that way the wall wouldn't have moved? Mina's mind was a jumble of thoughts and broken dreams.

Everyone tried at least once to talk to her, but all she did was stare at Chaeyoung, at the wall, the hourglass. But inside her mind wasn't focused. All she knows is that someone she could potentially love has been taken away. And she wants to leave this place in any which way possible, dead or alive. And yet even Chaeyoung the supposed murderer's death still hasn't freed them. What more does he want?

"2-in-1 go huh?" The voice they've been waiting for spoke up. "Wow, I thought I knew everything about all of you, but it seems it's the young ones are full of hidden surprises." Everyone was listening intently, hopeful still they'd finally be free. 

"But as surprising as Ms. Son's confession was, she wasn't the murderer I was hoping for, no." Everyone collectively closed their eyes in disappointment. 

"The murderer I am finding is the one who has killed... 

Lee Sunmi."

Jeongyeon stood up at this. That name.

"Sunmi wasn't murdered. She was killed in action" She spoke.

"Ahh yes, you would know, wouldn't you, Lieutenant. After all you were there." The voice replied.

"Who's Sunmi?" Sana asked them.

"My former mentor/commanding officer" Jeongyeon responded.

"My sister." Nayeon replied and Jeongyeon looked at her.

"YOUR sister?" She asked

"Adoptive sister. But a sister nonetheless." She answered. "I was... I was rude to her. I didn't like her, her attempts to win over my affection. I... we had a huge fight before she died, I regretted every single thing I've done. But it was too late. She was already in a casket the next time I saw her." Nayeon looked up. "That's what I know too. She was killed in action. No murder involved."

"I didn't know it was you. She always mentioned having a sister, but all she would say is that even though you were pretty mean to her, she took it in stride because she loved you still." Jeongyeon replied. Nayeon just nodded

"You were close with her." Nayeon stated.

"I was, she treated me like a sister, I would always fake-vomit when she and Seungyeon would act all sweet in front of me, but I loved them both deep inside." Jeongyeon answered

"She and Seungyeon?" Nayeon wondered.

"Yeah, Sunmi was quite the ladies' girl. But she only had eyes for Seungyeon." Jeongyeon bitterly reminisced.

"I didn't know." Nayeon sobbed. "All those chances I had to be close to her, wasted. Just because I couldn't accept the thought of an adoptive sister."

"Hey!" Jeongyeon hugged her. "When we get out of here, I'm gonna tell you all about her. What made Sunmi, Sunmi." Jeongyeon whispered sweet nothings into her ear.

"La di da... As heartwarming as this revelation is... you still have yet to kill Sunmi's killer. Murder or not. The technicality doesn't fucking matter. Kill her, and be free." The voice was almost... angry.