Chapter 21

Crisp leaves swirled to the ground around Snowblaze's paws as a brisk wind blew through the trees. They were staring to change colour ever so slightly. Another leaf fall was just around the corner.

Dens had finished being built and his clanmates were finally feeling safe again, all except Sleetstar. Who had seemed to become worse and worse as they days wore on. EmeraldClan rarely saw the grey and white speckled cat now. He wouldn't even leave his nest to eat.

The burden of his knowledge about their leader weighed heavily on Snowblaze's mind as he stood in the morning sunlight. Flowertail had led the dawn patrol with Starnose, Eaglepaw, and Charfur.

Flameclaw shuffled tiredly out of the warriors' den and began to groom his sleepy fur. He had seemed exhausted lately, having to do the duties of both the deputy and the leader. Snowblaze padded over and sat down beside Flameclaw.

"I'll lead a hunting patrol today if you want. It'll be good to get the fresh kill pile as full as we can to prepare for leaf bare," he said sensibly.

Flameclaw looked up at him gratefully and meowed his thanks. Snowblaze nodded and crawled back into the warriors' den to find cats to come with him. Oneclaw was stirring and Rainwhisker was awake, washing his face.

"Do you two want to come hunting with me?" he asked hopefully. Oneclaw nodded and stretched, letting out a huge yawn.

"Sure," Rainwhisker replied.

The three of them left the camp as it was still waking up and headed out into the forest. The chilly morning air woke Snowblaze up from his morning daze and he broke into a brisk trot to warm up. Oneclaw and Rainwhisker followed behind.

They made it to the edge of their territory on the border with the meadow. It was the area that had seen the least amount of damage. Oneclaw decided to try his luck hunting in the tall grasses of the meadow, while Snowblaze and Rainwhisker padded along under the trees.

The brown and white tom scented the air. Snowblaze pricked his ears and looked around. Birds were chirping in the trees and far away a crow cawed. He enjoyed hunting with Rainwhisker. The older tom was always calm and sensible. He was funny too at the best of times and Snowblaze enjoyed his company.

"I always feel like I need to bring back more prey now," Rainwhisker commented out of the blue.

"What do you mean?" Snowblaze asked. He looked sideways at his friend.

"Well with Meltwater expecting kits, I feel like it's my responsibility to bring back enough prey to feed her and my kits." He sighed dramatically and sat with a huff. "I don't know if I'm even ready to be a father yet."

Snowblaze sat beside him and laid his tail comfortingly over his shoulders. "I think you're ready, Rainwhisker. You two have been in love for a long time and I really do think you'll both be great parents." Rainwhisker looked at him appreciatively. "And as for prey," Snowblaze added, "I'll help you out!"

"Thanks Snowblaze," Rainwhisker said relieved. He stood and shook out his fur. "Let's get going then, we've got bellies to feed."

After catching a mouse each and Rainwhisker catching an impressively large pigeon, they headed back to the gully. Oneclaw caught up dragging a partridge by its wing. Feathers were splayed around his face in a comical way and Snowblaze tried not to laugh at his serious expression.

Snowblaze could hear cats meowing loudly and worriedly before he even entered the camp. He looked over at Rainwhisker and they hurried forward to see what was going on.

The elders were crouched together just outside of their den, heads bent in what seemed like grief. Everyone was out and fur was fluffed in agitation. Robintalon and Badgerclaw were pacing back and forth.