i'm still better than you - botw

I'm better.

Those were my first thoughts when I saw her.

Having to feign a smile or give her a warm greeting every time we cross paths makes me sick to my stomach. It's even worse when I see them holding hands or other displays of affection in my presence.

I've had to pretend—pretend that I love their romance and think it's delightful, that I love how well they match each other and how lucky it is that they ran into each other during his journey. I've had to pretend I'm not absolutely irked every time I see her trailing behind or next to him when they come visit or help with the reparations of the kingdom.

"[Name]! How great to see you this morning," I lie with a smile, my eyes fixated on her. "I see you've accompanied Link...again!"

"Zelda! Good morning to you as well," she grins at me, addressing me as if we were centuries old friends.

Improper and socially unaware. She can't see my seconds long sneers or the few times I roll my eyes, or how her voice makes me want to use the divine power the Goddess Hylia has graced in my being and make myself go deaf.

I don't know what he sees in her. A commoner who had decided to stick to his side like a leech the moment they had met. She followed him along and had somehow managed to win his attention and heart in a competition neither she or myself were aware of until we crossed paths—and even then, I believe she is still unaware.
I've never been one to flaunt my status or want to follow clichés or common tropes to the foot—but even then, wouldn't I of have been the better option?

I see the warm looks he gives her whenever she's around. Every word that flows from her mouth, how gentle she is with the children in the villages, her knowledge of the greenery and rich history of the kingdom—it's all gospel to him.

Beneath my jealousy, very down beneath, there are fleeting moments when I am able to set it aside and perhaps understand Link's infatuation for her.

Friendly personality, firm when she needs to be—incredible work-ethic and an amazing healer. Her hands are mostly smooth, most likely due to the fact she is not a fighter—Link has done all that for her. Her hair is quite pretty—shiny under the glaze of the sun and even the moon. Truth be told, her voice isn't as bad. Sweet and melodic, raspy in the mornings when she has just awoken. Is that what he gets to hear everyday?

Even yet, I keep asking myself the same thing—wouldn't I of have been the better option?

A doomed princess and her knightly savior—it's written in all the storybooks my mother read to me as a child. Every happy ending had them married or wed.

It seems those fairytale conditions didn't apply to me. Not yet anyways.

I never thought I'd desire it until I met him.

Even though I have to sit and watch them share a few kisses when they think no one is looking, or hear the dulcet names he has betrothed upon her—even though she may have 'won'—I still, in my very deepest of hearts, keep the same opinion.

I am still better than you.

———

[a/n: zelda pov one shot lolol. unfortunately made her the enemy this time—or maybe comphet zelda??? love and hate r two sides to the same coin anyways. this can honestly read both ways!!!! she wants or either hates reader so bad!!!]