17. I'll never be what you see inside

The sky was a deep grey-blue colour, the stars,once scintillescent, were beginning to fade, the sun had ever so slightly crept into Avonlea. Anne of green gables opened her indigo eyes one at a time and absorbed the moment, just her and nature. Of course, Gilbert was there too. But he was in deep sleep. His hand was was firmly, yet gently, gripping onto Anne's.
Anne and Gilbert had been stargazing and talking, not about school, not about parties, but real things, such as pain - Anne's life prior to Avonlea and Gilbert's coping with his solitude. They must've fallen asleep, it couldn't have been any later than 4 am when they awoke.
Anne took a moment to gaze at Gilbert and take in his delicate face and freckles, like snow dancing across his nose.
"Morning, Gil." Anne whispered, gradually slipping out of his grip. Just as she reluctantly broke free from him, he mumbled, "don't go. Not yet." Softly as he'd just awoken.

"I have to." Anne replied, "Marilla will soon awake." She tucked a strand of her loose, wavy hair behind her ear, "I'll be back later." Anne scurried through the woods, returning to green gables as fast as possible.

——————

Braids tied in pine green and snowy white, gingham ribbons, Anne crunched on a glossy, crimson apple. The door burst open and Diana Barry rushed into the kitchen of green gables.
"Anne. Father bought me the most splendid gown." She spoke, twirling around in an exquisite Parisian blue gown, puff sleeves and all.
"Oh, Diana. Isn't it darling. It is the most elegant dress one could have?" Anne admired how the dress contrasted Diana's raven curls, that twisted down her back.
"You must try it on." Diana said kindly.
"Oh, I don't know. Im much too skinny and homely and I could never pull it off the way you-"
"Don't be ridiculous. Anne, you'd look stunning in it. It would really compliment your hair." Diana flashed a dimpled smile at Anne.
"If you insist." Anne said, going upstairs with Diana.
——————
Diana held up a form of curtain, made from a blanket, for Anne to change behind.
"Anne." Diana spoke, the glossy crimson apple sitting upon her desk catching her eye, "isn't that apple from the Blythe's orchard?" She said observantly.
"Do you really think this dress will make me pretty?" Anne diverted the conversation, not wanting her relationship to be known, not even by her very best friend in the whole entire universe.
——————
Anne came from behind her improvised curtain, "Oh Anne. You look a picture." Said Diana.
"Do I really look okay?"
"More than okay. You look beautiful." Diana reassured.
Diana decided to stay the night and have yet another fond, childhood memory to share.
Anne and Diana laughed, they shared stories of fun, romance and tears. They hugged, they cried - rest assured they were tears of joy. They laughed at fond memories of classmates - the time Cole Mackenzie drew mr Philips with a ball gown and the most ruby red lips to match. The time Gilbert Blythe got the simplest question wrong. The time ruby, Jane, Tilly, Diana and Anne hypothetically planned to run away and join the circus.
"Anne." Diana interrupted their reminiscence.
"Yes, Diana?"
"You're the best friend a girl could have. Thank you."
"And I you."

——————

A/N

This is just a fun little filler chapter but the next chapter is going to be
d r a m a t i c