9.

"Don't you remember?" Magnus denied.

He had just told them how, a couple of hours ago, he had woken up covered in blood. As he did not remember what his dream was about and as, without any proof, he knew the that blood belonged to Alec.

Clary, Jace, Underhill, Maia, Simon, Lorenzo, Catarina, Raphael and Simon were now sitting in a circle in the multiple seats previously summoned by Lorenzo.

"Can this be related to what Jace has said?" asked Clary, drawing the attention of those who were not present during Jace's trance. "What are you talking about?".

Magnus was the most confused of all.

"It happened before you arrived, Magnus. Minutes earlier," Underhill clarified. Lorenzo nodded. "It's true, Bane. Something very strange happened, and we're sure you're involved". "You mean what you mentioned, didn't you?" he turned to Jace now. "You said that... That you've seen us. Alec and me".

Magnus tried not to show any emotion at the time Jace nodded, confirming what he had just said.

"I don't understand how or why, but from one moment to the next I could see him". "What do you mean?".

The simple idea of being able to see him, just for a fraction a second, stoked despair in his chest. 

He saw Alec. Why him and not me? He took the thought out of his mind. Jace was Alec's parabatai. Of course they both had a connection. We have one too, his mind whispered, refusing to give up on his attempt to stoke the acidic feeling in his chest.

"I was in the Hall of the Accords in Alicante, about to cross the portal back to the Institute when it happened. Lorenzo was there". The warlock nodded, confirming the history.

He could see him and not me.

"It was as if my mind suddenly disconnected from my body, Magnus. At one point I was in Idris and then... In some kind of sewer. I couldn't say where it was. I did not recognize it".

Clary stood by his side, caressing tenderly one of his hands... Comforting him. 

"What did you see, Herondale?" Raphael was the one who spoke this time, asking the question Magnus could not ask. He had seen how his friend had been staring at him, studying his reactions. "Tell us".

They both looked at each other. Raphael only nodded, downplaying his action.

"As I said before, I saw Alec".

Magnus was accustomed to hearing the name of his shadowhunter. But despite that, every single time he did, he could feel every fiber of his being vibrate. As every fiber of his being knew that belonged only to that name. To him. 

His Alexander.

"And he wasn't alone". "Who else was there?"

Who else had seen him? Who was he or she and why it wasn't me?

"A ravener demon was attacking him". 

Magnus's heart stopped for a moment. The image of a demon attacking Alec formed in his mind. 

"By the Angel". "A single demon means no threat, not to him" Simon said in an attempt to re-affirm to the rest, himself too, that Alec could get rid of a single demon, easily.

"I agree with you, Simon. But think of it this way. Alec's been missing for days. What makes you think no demon has been following him since?," said Jace. "Are you saying that...". "No, of course not. It was unbelievable how quickly he got rid of that demon. Although you don't need to be a genius to notice how exhausted he was, Simon. It's obvious it has been like that for days".