7.

(Mexico City).

Simon's patience was quickly running out.

"If you're waiting for me to tell you I'm excited to see you, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not".

First of all, finding Raphael Santiago had not been as easy as he had thought. Second, Raphael Santiago was not an easy person to deal with. In fact, Simon could tell that with him more than anyone else, Raphael adopted that exasperating and difficult character.

"I haven't traveled more than two thousands and four hundred miles for nothing. Of you could listen to me..."

Raphael ignored him, for the fourth time in less than ten minutes.

They walked down a busy street, full of families heading to the Church at the end of the street, where Raphael was headed.

"It's been a very nice four months away from all that mess. Turn around and go back the way you came. I'm not coming back".

He wanted to hit that face.
That was the only thing Simon could think of at time.

Rather, that was the only thing he could think of every time Raphael behaved like that to him.

"You haven't even heard what I have to tell you" cried Simon. "I don't have to. You want a favor. You want me to help you with something" he smiled condescendingly "Four words: Get. Out. Of. My. View."

Those were five words.

"Don't even think about it" Raphael defied after noticing his mistake. "Come on, I...". "No, amigo. Those are my last words. Hasta la vista".

He really wanted to backtrack and abandon this plan. Put Raphael aside and find someone else who could help, but he couldn't.

Izzy was in the infirmary at the time, counting on him to convince Raphael to help.
Izzy needed it.

With that in mind, he resumed the march until he reached him. It didn't take long, after all, Raphael was no longer a vampire but a mundane now.

"Raphael, I'm not leaving until you hear me". "I knew thar silence was too good to be true".

Simon finally stopped and faced him.

He was dressed in a formal shirt, accompained by black trousers and formal shoes.

"Returning home was the best decision I could have made. Brooklyn was no place for me. Not since Rosa died" Raphael said before he could speak.

Simon remembered Raphael's younger sister, Rosa Santiago. He'd met her because of Isabelle. Rosa had been a lovely woman.

After her death, he had never given his condolences to Raphael.

"I'm sorry". "It's okay. She's fine now. I know she's in Heaven" he smiled, his right hand made a particular gesture. He was persinking. "Returning to Mexico City brought me back to life. It's not exactly the same after so many years... But it's my home".

He could admit, that place was wonderful. Streets full of people full of life, of emotions.
Simon had never left the United States except for the brief moment he and Clary, Jace and Alec had arrived in Idris after separating Clary from her evil brother, Jonathan.

"When I told you these four month have been very nice, I wasn't exaggerating, Simon. Being no longer part of the Shadow World has really freed me. Living here has reaffirmed my desire to join the Church. I have finally feel at peace. After all the terrible things I've done, I'm finally at peace with myself. I have a quiet life. Do you know what it's like not to have to deal with downworlders problems? My problems... My life now is terribly mundane. And I love it. Coming back would only mean risking everything I tried to create for myself these last few months".