We should blend it

Dawn Short

My back is stiff, and I am turned away from the group. I let my eyes linger on my shadow, cast by the light of the flames which Jorge has lit. Ignoring the cries of Thomas is harder then it seems since they are trying to clean the wound. Eventually, I close my eyes. No matter how hard I try, I can't turn off the sound. My ears split open as his gasps cut through the air. No one else is talking.

Hands are on my side, and I feel Minho next to me. He holds me firmly, only letting go to brush my hair out of my face. I took out the braids earlier today, and now my hair is blowing in the wind through the open window. Minho presses a kiss into my shoulder and turns my chin to face him.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

I nod, though I feel absent. The vomiting took a lot out of me. It doesn't help that I am still listening to Thomas crying out in pain. I can't help him, and Leo is out there stuck with those girls, and I am so very lost.

"Before we left, you said you'd tell me something when we were safe," he begins, testing the waters.

"We aren't safe," I answer, shrugging my head away. The wind is strong, and my eyes sting. I can feel tears in the corners of my eyes.

"We aren't going to be safe for a long time." Minho doesn't take no for an answer. "What was it, Dawn?"

Sure, maybe I should tell him, but I can't. Needing and wanting are different things. We need to get out of the Scorch. We need water, and we need food, but I don't need to tell him. Maybe I want him to know but wanting isn't enough.

"I love you," Minho continues, squeezing me. "I just need you to be alright."

I need that too. Unfortunately, we are stuck here, and I can hear Thomas groaning.

I turn around, to see Jorge attempting to clean the wound. With the few bandages we have left, he tries to cover up Thomas. It won't work though. Clint sits frozen on the ground, staring forward. He doesn't seem to blink, or breath, or do much of anything.

"Clint," I breathe.

Minho sighs. "He's been like that since Jeff died. I don't know how he managed to run through the storm."

My eyes scan the crowd. Faces I recognize, but names I have trouble remembering. I knew more boys than this. Once, we were in the thirties, maybe even forties. How did we let this happen? What did we do to deserve this?

"I can't watch anyone else hurt," I begin, staring out into the group. "I can't, Minho."

He wraps himself further into me, and I hold him too. Despite the difficulties, it forces me to undergo. I don't know where I would be without him. Alone in this group, staring out into the Scorch, and uncertain of my future. Not much is different now, but I feel as though with him I can conquer anything.

Michelle Short

Teresa sits across the way from me, fuming. She has said nothing to me in hours. At least, I have said nothing to her either.

"Ignore her," Harriet offers. She sits down next to me, leaning over. "Her and I discussed Leo's escape. We've decided you had nothing to do with it."