34: I could kill her, straight up

Dawn 34             

 "There's somebody following us," one of the boys in the back calls.

Minho and Newt turn around from beside me. We have to push our way through the crowd, until we are essentially one long line, staring out. I can only make two bodies from here, but their might be more. They've got to be 500 metres away or something like that. It's hard to tell at distances this far.

"How long?" Minho asks, staring back at them.

"How should I know?" Hank argues. Aidan clings on to him. "Could be hours, could be minutes. I only noticed a second ago."

"How many?" Doug squints, trying to see the shapes behind us.

"I can't tell," Fry says form beside him.

"Looks like four," Jay offers.

Everyone begins to talk all at once, jumping in on top of each other. I turn, watching Minho trying to control the group. He is strong arms and legs, moving certainly in front of everyone so that they are all facing him. Even now, Newt hangs back.

"We don't know who we are, or what they want," Minho begins. "It could be a couple of Cranks."

"It could be WICKED," Doug argues.

I don't know it is, and at this point it doesn't matter. Whatever happens, I trust Minho's judgement. However, I can't say the same for our group. Newt is practically bouncing beside me as he scans the bodies.

"Calm down muchahoes," Jorge shakes his head. "WICKED doesn't move on foot."

Newt takes off running beside me. He spins, charging through the sand. Our group goes silent, as we watch him run away.

"Newt?" Minho asks, calling out. "What are you doing, you stupid shank?"

Newt doesn't answer, rushing forward despite his heavy limp.

Leo.

I run after him, though I can't see her yet. Can't make her out in this lighting. There isn't any other reason he would run like that. I hear Minho calling my name, but my heart is pounding through my chest. I have to get to her. How is she here? How is she alive?

She is visible now, sprinting towards us. She sees me and she runs faster. My lungs are starting to burst. I am so close to her. We are almost together.

Leo grabs Newt, pulling him into her arms. He buries himself in her neck, picking her feet off the ground and spinning her in a circle. I can hear her sweet laugh echo through the desert. He holds her hair tightly in his arms. While she smiles, I can see the pain in his eyes. My feet stop, finally reaching beside them.

Minho bumps into my side. When I turn to him, I notice he is staring at the pair and grinning. Three more people are walking forward. The two boys who escaped, and a girl I don't recognize. Did they pick up a Crank too?

"Newt," Leo's voice is mostly breath. The air is leaving her lungs.

"Leo," he answers.

Minho coughs, and Newt lets go of her. He takes a step back, and she averts her eyes. Without the joy in her, I can see how much the desert has destroyed her. Her skin is shucking burnt. It seems like it's going to peel off in layers. Her lips are dry too, and there is a bruise on her cheekbone. Still, a small smile takes over her face.