Thirty-six (Part 2 of 2)

Amelia Rose tightened her bandanna at the nape of her neck. Now, she imagined that she was a bandit as she hurried across the empty mess hall. She heard Dr. Nejem working inside the infirmary, but if she was careful, he wouldn't even know she was there. Everyone else was on duty. She, Dr. Nejem, Rafaele, and Oliver would share the night watch.

Jade wasn't in her room. Amelia Rose hopped across the threshold, only eliciting a small creak from the floor. It blended into the moaning of the vessel. With as much caution as could be handled, she worked the door shut. She hadn't made a sound so far. The other day, Amelia Rose had seen something strange on Jade's desk. Maybe it was her imagination, but Amelia Rose had to check anyway.

Her sextant was wrapped up tight in one of Suzaku's spare shirts. She tugged the sextant from the fabric and set it on Jade's desk. There, just like she saw, was the spyglass. Amelia Rose compared the lenses—they were the same. They were crafted in the same way—mismatched metals and strange colors. They went together like two halves of the same heart. Her chest fluttered. How did her mother's spyglass get on a Durantan ship?

Amelia Rose itched to take it back, but every time she thought of running back to her cabin, her feet froze. She stood still, the pads of her fingers turning white as they clutched the ornate, leather and gold instrument. It was worm by whether, probably twice as old as she was, if not older.

The cabin door slid open and then shut again as Jade entered. Amelia Rose staggered back and set the spyglass down on the desk. Jade came at her, the tip of her nose bright red and her jaw clenched. She took Amelia Rose by the collar and slammed her up against the wall. The furniture shuddered.

"Let's settle this quietly," she whispered. "You step into my cabin one more time whether I'm here or not and I will not be so merciful."

Amelia Rose stared at her, wide-eyed. She wanted to pull her hat down over her eyes, but she was pinned against the wall. The anger in Jade's breathing radiated through her. Her legs shook with fear.

"What?" Jade slammed her back into the wall. "Acknowledge me."

Amelia Rose shook her head and writhed under Jade's body. Jade's elbow pressed into Amelia Rose's sternum. She tried to kick, but she had no room. It was starting to become a joke now. Who didn't know that Dirty Jim was just an Aydesrevean waif? It didn't seem like Amelia Rose was being as careful as she used to be anymore. She hated the part where people found out, but she loved the part where she could stop pretending. Maybe she just wanted to go back to being Amelia Rose.

"I won't come here again," she nodded.

Jade's fingers unraveled from around her neckline. Her elbow drew back. Amelia Rose sucked in huge breath. "You're a..." Jade drew away from her. "Who are you?"

Amelia Rose stayed tucked against the wall. She loosened the leather strap tying her hair back. Her hair tickled her jaw as it fell. "My name is Amelia Rose Holden."

Jade crossed her arms and stepped back into the chair. She pushed it out of her way. "You aren't a cabin boy."

"Yes I am." Tears ran out of the corners of Amelia Rose's eyes and cleaned the dirt away. "I don't—I'm not like you. The rest of the world isn't like this. If my husband found out—"

"I understand," Jade muttered holding her hands up as if to stop Amelia Rose from saying anymore. "You don't need to explain yourself to me."

Amelia Rose shifted further into the wall, wondering how hard it might be to push herself through it. If she were a ghost it might be different. "I wasn't waiting for you." She wrung out her hands. "I came here to see why you have my mother's spyglass. I want it back."