Fifty-one (Part 1 of 2)

Holden pushed on the door, groaning through bared teeth. Amelia Rose joined him. They pushed on the door, but it was stuck closed. The tower was still crumbling in every so often. It was only a matter of time before a larger piece broke down.

"Alright," Holden gave up and leaned his back against the door, catching his breath. "This isn't working."

He looked around. All the holes in the tower were too high off the ground. There was no continuous staircase to reach them, nor was there any way they'd be able to make a safe landing onto the ground outside.

"What if we break the door?"

Holden pushed against the door with his shoulder. "I think we're going to have to." He paused. "You hurt your shoulder?"

"I think it's dislocated."

"Hm," Holden said. "Glad it was you." He looked back at the door. It was a thick, heavy door. It was hard to tell if it would even give in to a kick. Only one way to find out. He stepped back, widening his stance and brought his fists to his face. Trinity Gorge gave him a lot of things, like Mr. Zhao, who thanked Holden for helping the town by giving him free martial arts lessons. Holden had spent his life seeing what Helios could do. Even though he didn't know who Helios was, he still never wanted to be defenseless in case he found out.

He squared his shoulders with the door. After a deep breath, he smashed his foot right below the door handle. Once, then again, with more power. The door gave a little. He closed his eyes and directed his foot back into the spot. The door splintered. Without giving it a moment more to settle, Holden threw his entire body against the door. The handle smashed and he fell through.

"Holden!" Amelia Rose screamed. He didn't have the chance to respond as he fell down the front stairs, and a rumbling began above him. He thudded against the staircase, each stone step smacking a different part of his already bruised body. Sand puffed into his mouth and eyes as he hit the ground.

It sounded like rain on a tin roof at first, or tacks spilling against a wooden floor. His scream met with Amelia Rose's as the front of the tower gave in and showered down over the lawn. He shielded his head with his arms and cried out as bricks collapsed over top of his legs.