Thirty-nine (Part 2 of 2)

Aiden's arms were sore. From pure determination, he was able to nudge one of the carronades out as far as he could back into the gundeck. Then he loaded the gun, aimed at the floor and fired it off.

Those carronades looked weak but they could cut through wood like a son of a bitch. There was a giant hole in the gundeck, and he could see down to the deck below where the cannonball had made a good amount of damage. It wasn't enough to sink a ship, but it was enough to distract the captain. After all, no one was expecting dangerous stowaways, and having made their presence known was enough to pull Fairborn into a game of cat and mouse long enough for the Coronis to squeak by.

Aiden pushed the carronade back into place after the hole was created, hoping that he could confuse the naval officers a bit.

Afterward, he carried Amelia Rose off and hid her in the cargo hold. It would have to do, and they'd have to be quiet.

No one was in the infirmary yet, but it would be any minute now. Aiden stole a bunch of bandages, ointment, and a rag. He snuck back to the cargo hold, moving faster when he started to hear voices and yelling. There was no way they would be able to get back to the Coronis. Amelia Rose would have to go swimming and there's really nothing like salting a fresh wound, nevermind that she was an atrocious swimmer and would never catch up.

The space Aiden found for them was small and dark. It was far away from the hole he'd created with the carronade. From here, Amelia Rose could heal. The barrels and crates made enough shelter for them. Amelia Rose was already pressed, her back up against the wall. He crawled into the little gap between crates with her. She moved out of the way, creating space for him, but gasped. Her legs were cut up something bad.

Aiden showed her what he gathered for her. Her eyebrows tilted up, thankful, if not a little worried. "Can I see?" He pointed at her leg.

"No."

"I just want to help you. I don't have any ulterior motives. You can't really bandage them by yourself."

"Really?" She asked. "I think I can do whatever I want."

Aiden rubbed his face in frustration. "Okay," he sighed. "Well, if you change your mind..."

She stared at him expectantly.

He sighed, nose twitching with annoyance. "What is it?"

"Privacy? Please? I need to look at my legs."

Aiden crawled back out of the space and leaned his back against the crate. She could be so stubborn sometimes. But sometimes it was hard to fault someone for having resolve. Even if he really did just want to help her.

Amelia Rose grunted. Aiden stared uncomfortably at the barrel in front of him. A moment later, she handed him a pair of perfectly folded trousers. Aiden held them for her. He looked at the tears in the fabric.

He knew that barnacles could tear a sailor into ribbons, but seeing the razor-like cuts in the thick fabric was enough to make him cringe. These were sturdy pants, after all. He refolded the pants, not nearly as neat as Amelia Rose had done.

"How do I do this?" Amelia Rose asked, her voice tinted with frustration. "Everyone's always done this for me.

Aiden rolled his eyes. "Wow, and here I thought she could do whatever she wanted."

Amelia Rose grunted from pain. "I can. And one day I'll know how to do everything too."

Aiden narrowed his eyes. "Sure you will," he said. "Just wash them with that rag I left you. Then you can put the ointment on and wrap them up."