Chapter 6 - The Day That Wasn't

3rd Person POV

Lilly, Vanya, and Leonard walk into the Umbrella Academy.

Vanya and Leonard walk in but Lilly stands in the doorway.

"Why am I doing this?" Vanya asks. "Why are we doing this?" She looks to Lilly.

"Because it's important." Leonard says.

"No, it's insane." Lilly says, finally walking fully into the room and looking around. "They hate us here."

"Lilly's right." Vanya says. "Plus, I just feel like every time I see them, I come away feeling like there's less of me."

"Things are different now." Leonard tells Vanya. "You got me, Vanya. "The Sonny to your Cher, the, um, peanut butter to your jelly. Vanya, you getting first chair is a huge accomplishment. You did it all by yourself. So it's the right thing to invite them to the concert. They need to see how talented you are, okay?" They kiss. "Hmm?"

"Okay, Sonny." Vanya says with a smile. "Let's do this."

The three walk into the hallway.

"Maid's day off?" Leonard asks.

"Growing up, we called her Mom." Vanya says. "But where is everybody?"

Leonard looks at the pictures on the wall.

"How come you girls aren't in any of these?" Leonard asks.

"It's always about the Umbrella Academy." Vanya says.

"We just didn't make the cut, so..." Lilly trails off.

Vanya walks ahead but Leonard slows to a stop in front of a bunch of figurines. Lilly stops behind him.

"Wow." Leonard says.

Faint voices are heard downstairs.

"Hey, Leonard, come on." Vanya says, pulling Leonard out of his trance.

The voices are more distinct as the three walk into the living room to see all of their siblings there.

"Hey." Vanya says, stopping the conversation. "What's going on?"

"It's a family matter." Allison says.

"A family matter." Vanya scoffs. "So you couldn't bother to include us."

"No, it's not like that." Luther tries. "We were--"

"Don't let me interrupt." Vanya says.

Vanya turns to leave.

"Wait." Allison says, trying to stop Vanya. "I'll fill you in later when we're alone."

"Please, please, don't bother." Vanya tells her. "And I won't either."

"Vanya, that's not fair." Allison says.

"Fair?" Vanya asks. "There's nothing fair about being your sister. Lilly and I have been left out of everything for as long as I can remember. And we used to think it was Dad's fault, but he's dead. So it turns out you're the assholes."

Vanya leaves.

"Ouch." Klaus whispers.

Leonard leaves after.

"You guys suck." Lilly tells the group. "We spent all our lives pushed aside and unwanted and years later, it's still the exact same thing. You don't see us as family. You don't see us as important. You don't see us as people."

"You're just a half, you're barely a person." Luther mutters under his breath.

Lilly takes a step back at the hard impact those words left on her.