Chapter 9 - Changes

FLASHBACK

"Your brothers and sister have all finished their oatmeal and begun their training for the day.

Don't you want to join them, Number Seven?" The nanny asks, trying to get Vanya to eat her food. Vanya doesn't respond. "Is someone having a tough morning?"

The kettle whistles.

"You know what cheers me up when I'm down? Singing." The nanny says. She starts singing in french.

The kettle whistles louder.

Vanya and Lilly watch as the woman tries to give Vanya food.

The wind picks up,

The woman is thrown backwards.

The whistling stops.

Vanya and Lilly smile at each other.

Mr Hargreeves walks in.

"Number Seven!" Their father scolds.

---Another nanny---

"Hi, Number Seven and Number Half. I'm your new nanny, Mrs. Cornwallis." The new nanny says.

Lilly gives Vanya a 'do it' look.

The nanny is thrown backward.

"Number Seven!" Their father scolds.

-----Another nanny-----

"Bonjour. I'm Miss Stevenbaker and I am your new nanny." The nanny says.

Vanya and Lilly look between each other, a silent conversation passing between the two.

Vanya's eyes tell Lilly to take care of this one. But Lilly's eyes show fear as if to say 'you know what father will do if I act out?'

Vanya takes care of the nanny.

"Number Seven!" Their father scolds.

----Another nanny---

"Hello, Number Seven and Number Half." The new nanny says. "My name is Grace. I'm your new nanny. Your father tells me you don't like oatmeal, but we need our breakfast to grow up big and strong, and you have to train with the others after you eat. Here, let me help you."

She gets thrown backwards.

But she gets up.

Vanya and Lilly look at each other.

"Shall we try again?" Grace asks. "Better eat that oatmeal before it gets cold."

Vanya eats the oatmeal.

Grace looks to Lilly.

"You too." Grace says.

Lilly eats her food.

END FLASHBACK

"We're safe here for a bit." Leonard says, opening up the door and pulling a still shocked Lilly in. Vanya walking in after them. "We can't stay long. We gotta pack our things." Vanya isn't paying attention. "Vanya." He tries. "Vanya." He tries a little louder. "Come on, I'm already dealing with your sister who went quiet. You gotta talk to me." Nothing. "Let's clean you up." He says, looking at the blood on her shirt.

Leonard puts Lilly on the couch.

Lilly stares at the floor.

***

Vanya and Lilly sit at the table.

Lilly remembers everything.

The flashes of her burning Allison go through her head. Blood everywhere from Vanya slicing Allison's throat pollutes her mind.