Epilogue

The birthday grins as she holds her hair back behind her and blows out the candles on her cake. Maxon and I stand across the table from her. Maxon keeps an arm around me as he chuckles, his breath tickling my neck. He has his camera around his neck but has decided to let others cover this part of the princess's birthday party. 

I feel the skirt of my long dress being tugged on. I reach down and pick up the little boy. "Mommy, are any of those presents mine?" he asks as he squirms in my arms. He points towards the table of presents against the far wall of the Great Room. 

I shake my head. "Charles, we have talked about this," I tell him. He stubbornly shakes his head. "Those are Celia's, not yours." He frowns at me and reaches for his father. Maxon takes him in his arms. I hear them whispering, figuring the conversation goes about the same as ours. 

The head butler steps out from the crowd. He bows to Celia as he picks up a knife from the table. "May I, princess?" he asks her. She silently nods. He takes the knife and begins cutting up the cake, slicing the large ten in bubble letters to be sliced in half. 

They begin handing out pieces of cake. Charles gets down from his father's arms and sits next to Celia, taking the second piece of cake that is placed on the table. Maxon chuckles and snaps several pictures of our children. 

"Ten years," I whisper as I wrap my arm around his waist. He chuckles and smiles down at me. 

"We've done pretty great, haven't we?"

I'm really sorry that this is kinda really short. I wasn't really sure what should happen next and I just wanted a cute scene of the whole family. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Kiera Cass owns The Selection.