Chapter-14

Listen to the above track:  Drop the game by Chet Faker and Flume

I winced, but there was no pain. I opened my eyes in confusion. My gaze travelled from Keith's gray eyes to his face which was set in determination, hard lines appearing between his eyebrows. His other arm was raised out to the front, and his hand was gleaming, a blue light was radiating from it. It was making an invisible barrier between us and the bullet.

The bullet fired from Vlad's gun fall on the ground, making a clinking sound.

Keith retracted his hand, still holding me in his tight grip. My head moved from the bullet to him, adjusting myself to the situation what my eyes just saw.

"I don't know what trick you're playing, but I'm not going to jail today."  Raven was standing a few feet away, her hands shivering while holding the gun.

"Boss! Police is outside. There's no way  we can go without being caught,"  Vlad's henchman alerted him.

"There's a back door I know." Raven perked up.

Vlad nodded. "Follow her then, and you bad boy." He pointed his gun at Keith. "If you try to use your powers, mind it, the consequences will be bad."

It all happened in flash. They disappeared from the back door which lead to the backyard garden and ran away like scared kids.

Later, the sounds of gunshot and screeching of car tyres, someone's giving warning in the loud speaker could be heard from the distance.

Dad!

I looked around the house, the sofa chairs were upside down, the white floor was obscured with several red foot prints. The light coming from the outside was reflecting the shattered pieces of glass.

The house was a mess.

Among all these, my father was laying on the ground, beside him, my mom was crumpled on the ground in a foetal position.

I wiggled myself out of Keith's grasp, and crawled to them. I took in the huge, gruesome wound on dad's chest.
The metallic scent filled my nostrils.

"Dad! Please open your eyes." I croaked out, fresh tears streaming down my face, mixing with the horrified crimson liquid still oozing from his body.

"Mom!" I shook her with my shaky hands. She was stilled, not moving from her place. Her eyes were closed, trace of dried tears were visible on her face, and her light blonde hair was stuck to her sweaty nape.

The front door burst open, I felt heavy steps approaching me.

"The Police."

I tore my eyes from my mother to see three police officers appeared at the threshold with their guns drawn.

"Miss? Are you alright? "

I nodded my head, fiercely brushing away the tears with the sleeves of my sweater. "Please, send an ambulance. Save my Mom and Dad."

The officer said something into his radio, looking around the room.

"The ambulance is already here," his colleague informed me, leaning over my Dad to check his pulse.

The paramedics rushed into the lobby with a stretcher and surrounded us, but I didn't want to leave them alone for a second, fearing I might lost them forever.

"Miss, you need to move so we can do our job."

I thwarted my hands, trying my best to loose the grip of someone on my arms. The familiar voice tried to comfort me as strong arms lifted me from the floor and cradled me like a child. I buried my head into his solid chest and closed my eyes.