Chapter 14: Betrayal.

"Slowly... That's it. Perfect!"

With his comlink, Dameron was giving his instructions to the pilots. The boxes had been charged on tracks and Poe had opened the door on the outside. The maneuvers were delicate because of the lack of space between the rift, the building and the mountain. And thus, the boxes would have to be charged one after another.

Ly'ra was finishing to tie down two guards who nearly catch them in the cristals room and she was now helping to fix the first box for its lading into the Dawn. As the ship didn't have a way to land, it was flying above the two pilots, the hatch of the hold was opened and Dante and Bango were waiting for the precious freight. The young woman grabbed the hook and, with Dameron's help, they fixed the ropes before waving the two mercenaries they were ready.

The first cristals box arose, while Poe and Ly'ra were holding back their breaths until it was charge into the Dawn. A victory cry escaped the pilot's lips before he turned to face the young woman.

"Next one!"

Both of them hurried then to push and fix the second box with the ropes sent back by Bango before secure it with the hook for the second tour.

The second box had already done half of its journey when they heard a blaster shot. Ly'ra and Poe quickly turned their heads towards the other part of the Palace. They shared a worried look before the young woman hurried inside. The first second, she didn't see a thing and thought that maybe, just maybe, it was a simple accident caused by alcohol at the party. But her thoughts were quickly denied by the sight of a group of Stormtroopers hurrying in their direction.

"We don't have any more time left, we need to charge the last box now!"

Dameron didn't wait for her as he was already hurrying to try and push the box outside. Ly'ra took out her blaster and was trying to give him some time. Hidden behind the window, she was shooting the First Order's soldiers who were trying to reach their position.

"I'm gonna need help here!"

Ly'ra shot a Stormtrooper before running to help the pilot. Next to him, she tried to push the last box outside. For an unknown reason, it seemed heavier than the two others. The two Resistants took support against the wall with their legs, their backs firmly pushing the box behind them. After several seconds, it finally moved and slid onto the tracks. Poe hurried to fix it to the Dawn while Ly'ra took back her place at the window. The enemies were coming dangerously closer and were about to cross the rift.

"Drop your weapons, you're surrounded!"

"Cap, we have fighters approaching, you need to get out of here now!"

Dameron turned his head to look at the young woman. The last box was just being charged onboard, but the Dawn was already being shot at by TIE fighters. Ly'ra fixed the man a second before grabbing the comlink.

"Get out of here!"

"Ly'ra don't do this!"

"Get out of here Dante, it's an order! Take these cristals back to Leïa, we're gonna find a way to join you later."

Poe nodded softly and waved to his pilots to leave. Jay seemed to hesitate, but he knew he didn't have the choice. He closed the hatch while Bango and Niv were shooting at the fighters, and Dameron saw his best friend disappeared into Affavan's mist, quickly followed by the TIEs.

But the two pilots left on the ground didn't have time to mourn on their fates. They quickly grabbed their weapons and started shooting at the first Stormtroopers who succeeded in crossing the rift. Poe tried to think quickly. They were sure to be caught if they were staying here. They needed to get out of this trap. Unfortunately for them, their only way out was the window through which they arrived in the first place. He turned to face Ly'ra and saw she started a fight against a First Order's soldier. She had taken out small light sabers, dagger size, and she quickly took him out. Dameron saw an opportunity. He grabbed the young woman's hand and ran towards the window. Ly'ra seemed to have understood his plan and stepped out onto the edge, replacing her daggers for her blaster. Poe grabbed the rope with one hand and Ly'ra with the other. The young woman held onto him tight, her left arm around his shoulders, and they both jumped into the hole, crossing the rift again to go back into the back room. They would have to force their way out to leave the Palace.

Just as they landed into the back room, they were already being shot at. Poe shot a soldier, helping the young woman to step inside. Quickly, Ly'ra also covered her friend before they started running through the corridor.

"Stop!"

"This way!"

The young woman grabbed Dameron's arm and they both jumped through one of the arks of the corridor. They heavily landed on a table before starting to run again. The exit of the Palace was just few feet away when a group of Stormtroopers appeared and blocked their way. Poe and Ly'ra then tried to head towards another window, but this time, they were surrounded.

"Drop your weapons!"

The two pilots looked at each other, silently getting agreed, before dropping their blasters on the ground. They then rose their hands above their heads while two Stormtroopers searched them, taking away crossbow and daggers. Just at this moment, Poe noticed Valek's dead body. This dumbass couldn't keep his mouth shut it seemed. He looked at Ly'ra who let out a sigh.

"Contrary to what you may think, this insignificant cockroach did not say a thing about you. Which actually caused his death."

Dameron saw the young woman froze, a pure terror passing through her green eyes. He turned to see a First Order High Command member. His badges saying he was a General. The man stepped closer to the two Resistants.

"Just as he is not the one who taught me a very surprising news."

Suddenly, Poe had a bad feeling. He knew who this man was and he realised he just offered him Ly'ra on a silver plate. The man stepped even closer to the young woman, his eyes cold with hatred.

"You can imagine my surprise, don't you?"

The General removed the hood that was hiding the young woman's hair, then her veil, revealing her face.

"Hello Ly'ra..."

The young pilot looked right into the man's eyes, her green glaring with an unknown hatred and challenge.

"Hello Armitage."