Chapter 23: Back on D'Qar.

Three Days. It had been three days since Poe escaped Affavan. Three days that he was back on D'Qar. Three days that he was focusing night and day on his X-Wing. The cristals had been delivered safely to the Resistance and now, most of the pilots were working with the mecanics, just like him, to prepare the new ships.

On the fourth day, Jay arrived in the shed and sighed when he saw his best friend working under the Black One again. He stepped closer and crossed his arms on his chest.

"Did you at least sleep?"

Poe didn't even take a second to look at him and shook his head.

"Nope. Don't have time. Don't need to sleep anyway."

"Poe... You can't go on like that okay? You need to rest. You'll be useless to everyone if you're exhausted."

The pilot sighed and finally turned his brown eyes on his friend, but he stayed silent.

"You should go to see her."

"Why? She won't answer me anyway!"

"No but she'll know you're here. Please Buddy, you're hurting yourself for nothing. She's..."

"Stop!"

"Dammit Poe, she's alive! She's been badly wounded but now she's fine!"

Furious, Dameron threw his screw violently on the other side of the shed, making BB8 jump slightly, surprised. The little droid arrived earlier to help his new owner. After this little outburst, the pilot turned to face his friend.

"He almost killed her Jay. She didn't even want to do this mission in the first place!"

Jay gave him some space to allow him to calm down. After a minute, he stepped closer and rested a hand on his shoulder.

"Look... I know you've been seriously scared when you both arrived here. But you can't go on like that. Don't hide behind work. You love her. And you almost lost her. I got it. But now she needs you. So go take a shower, change your clothes and surprise her with a visit. Your ship won't fly away if you take few hours to see her. And if you want, I'll keep an eye on it."

Poe finally took a deep breath and nodded. Ly'ra fell unconscious the moment they landed on D'Qar. BB8 had opened the cockpit and a medical unit took care of the young woman, taking her to the medical wing quickly. They saved her but she was in a coma since that day. Poe received the support and the help of his team but he had been so terrified to lose her that he refused to visit her, despite the news of the medics, saying that she was saved.

The pilot stepped away from his ship and headed towards his barrack. After a quick shower, he dressed up, choosing his brown leather jacket. He was always wearing it now and he had to admit that he loved the style he had with it, he loved it even more it was a gift from the young woman he was about to see. Before he left his room, he glanced at his reflection in the mirror and sighed. How did he change from being the best Resistance pilot, huge seducer and without any feeling attachment, to a man completely in love with a woman he thought he hated at first? He softly grabbed his mother's ring that was hanging around his neck. Maybe he was wrong since the beginning when he thought that having someone in his life during a war was selfish? Maybe it was even the complete opposite? And as all his sureness was flying away, he understood that Love was the only thing he should never doubt about. Once again, he took a deep breath and came back to reality as he stepped out of his room. He found BB8 who was waiting for him in front of the door and he offered the droid a small smile before heading towards the medical wing.

He always tried to avoid this place. The white walls and the sanitized air made him feel ill-at-ease. Dameron stayed still a minute, in middle of the coming and going of the medical team, his eyes fixed on a door down the hall. The little orange droid didn't wait for him and rolled towards the room, leaving the pilot hesitating and alone behind him. After a long moment, he finally stepped closer and pressed on the opening button. The door slid on the side, revealing a pure white bedroom. On the left, a huge window offered an amazing view on D'Qar's forest and, in the middle of the room, a bed. Leïa probably interfered to bring the young woman here.