Chapter 19: Love Pledge and Arena.

Poe stayed silent during all the time Ly'ra told him her story, confused between his fascination, his anxiety, his angst but also, since few times, a new feeling had appeared. A feeling he thought he was immune against. He kept his brown eyes fixed on her, in vain trying to find the words that could be right after such revelations.

"I... Wow... I'm truly sorry Ly'ra..."

The young woman let out a small and soft laugh, quickly followed by a spasm of pain. She then arched a brow, tilting very slightly her head on one side.

"Sorry for what? You're not the one who shot that Fighter while I was inside..."

Poe nodded and smiled back, before looking down.

"No but... Clearly I misjudged you. I should have trusted Leïa instead of being blind because of my pride. I only saw a group of mercenaries and I didn't look further."

The young pilot didn't answer, only nodding softly.

"Wait... How did you get out of it then?"

"Out of the TIE you mean? I don't know. The last thing I remember is the crash. And then I woke up aboard a Resistance's ship. According to the medics, I was unconscious several days. When I was finally able to walk without crying out because of the burns, Leïa came to see me with Dante. Her spies told her that I had been declared dead by the First Order, so... I was free to do whatever I wanted. I followed Dante. And he became my mentor. We left the Resistance and we came back on Coruscant where I found a ship and some weapons. We stayed down the city so no one knew I was there. I also found BB8 and Bango and we left as far away as we could."

Dameron arched a brow and looked up at her.

"Bango?"

"Oh right... The boy Hux had beaten up... It was Bango."

A sad smile appeared on the pilot's face. He knew that the Galaxy wasn't going well and that a war was about to explode but sometimes, he forgot that it wasn't just the Senate, the First Order and the Resistance. There were normal people too, whose lives were broken because of all these conflicts. They stayed silent a moment, looking in each other's eyes. And, finally, Poe slowly raised his hand and moved away a brown curl that had fallen on her face, allowing his fingers to softly brush her cheek. He was sure she would looked away or even moved her head back but no. She kept her amazing green eyes fixed on him. The pilot hesitated a second before he decided to slowly come closer to her face. Ly'ra didn't need more signs and leaned forward, letting her lips meet Poe's. During a short moment, everything was frozen. It was only the two of them in a world being destroyed. Ly'ra was the first to move back, a small smile appearing on her face.

"What was that for?"

Poe answered with the same smirk, raising a shoulder innocently.

"I didn't want that dumbass to be the last to kiss you before we die."

"You're a jerk."

The pilot let out a small laugh and leaned forward, softly kissing the young woman again. A kiss that could have last longer, but they were interrupted by a metallic sound. The couple looked at each other a second, before turning their heads towards the cell's door. Two Stormtroopers stepped in and, unconsciously, the young woman tightened her hold around Dameron's collar. The pilot locked his brown eyes in her green, his hand still buried in her long brow curls.

"Hey... Look at me. Don't be scared okay? It's gonna be alright... We'll get out of here."

The soldiers detached them from each other, and they handcuffed the young woman as well. She tried to hold back a cuss and hid a pain grimace. They both expected to be pushed out of the cell but, strangely enough, the Stormtroopers didn't move. Poe and Ly'ra shared a speechless gaze before they felt the ground moving under their feet.

"What the...?"

Ly'ra let out a soft surprise cry. The roof above them was getting closer in every second but the soldiers kept them in place. Suddenly, what they thought to be a roof, opened itself in two, the platform still pulling them up until they reached the real ground.

A huge clamor welcome the two prisoners and, before they could understand what was going on, they were led to a pillory where they were tied up, their hands above their heads. The two Stormtroopers then stepped out of what Ly'ra just understood to be an arena.

"Shit..."

Poe was still looking around, obviously confused.

"What the Hell is going on here?"

"Erm... Do you remember what I told you aboard the Dawn? About the Hutts' new hobby?"

The pilot frowned, suddenly being very attentive.

"Yeah...?"

"We're right inside..."

"What?!"

The young woman looked up at a balcony. The First Order was truly done with them and, as promised, they offered the couple to the Hutts. The dripping big slugs family was accompanied by the General Hux, the Colonel Kaplan and... Switch.

"Oh my... Tell me it's a joke... You're fucking rotten! You're gonna pay for this traitor! I swear that if I'm getting out of here, I'll kill you Switch!

The mercenay didn't even move. He even offered a smile to the young woman, amused by the sight of her pulling on her chains. He raised his hands innocently.

"Well first try to get out of that!"

And as if his words were a signal for the games to begin, on each side, the heavy gates were being opened with a metallic creaking. The pilots looked back and, horrified, they saw two groups, with around ten killers each, slowly stepping closer. Of course, they all had weapons and they were encouraged by the crazy crowd. Poe and Ly'ra looked at each other, knowing perfectly that their chances to get out of this trap were close to none. Each of them was trying to find a brilliant idea to escape in the eyes of the other, without wanting to agree on the fact that, this time, it might be the end of them.