four: breathe

Three days was enough.

Well, not really, not in any case, but something in Taehyung's chest, some heavy weight, wouldn't let him comfortably sit in his apartment for another day.

So he found himself walking anxiously to school the next morning, scratching the insides of his coat pockets because he couldn't suppress his nerves. And he had left his car near the campus those few days ago...

Taehyung made sure he wore one of his his hooded coats and a sick mask to hide himself as much as possible. He knew it wouldn't really work, though. He wouldn't blend in by putting on extra layers or hiding his face. People would still look at him. People would surely recognize him.

Stepping on to campus that morning was one of the most nerve-wracking, sickening moments of his life.

No one said hello to him. They noticed him, stared at him, and a couple people offered tentative waves with concerned looks on their faces.

The news had spread alright.

Can't trust anyone.

He didn't care how early he would be. Taehyung briskly walked to his classroom as though he had but ten seconds to spare.

Seokjin tried to get his attention but to no avail.

Once he arrived at the classroom, Taehyung sought out his usual seat and set his stuff down. He took off his coat but left it draped around his shoulders. And the mask stayed.

As did the anxiety bubbling in his chest.

It stayed, it traveled to the tips of his fingers which then began to tap vigorously against the desk's surface. There were several people already in the classroom.

Whispering.

Shut up, shut up, shut up, shut up-

"Taehyung-"

"Shut up."

He froze. As did Jungkook.

"I-...I was gonna say 'good morning'," the boy said slowly, eyeing Taehyung with concern. "I'm...glad to see you're back. Even if you're not glad..."

"I can't afford to skip class forever," the other sighed, voice as shaky as his hands. "I can't avoid the public forever. I can't keep moving. I can't. I have to stick it out this time. I promised."

It tugged at Jungkook's heart to see Taehyung so acutely on edge, as though even now he sat upon a bed of nails, eyes plunged with needles. And he could see it - that presence of something in those eyes, something that practically cried, not again, it's happened again.

It hurt him, too.

Without saying another word Jungkook slid into the chair next to Tae's. Then he took out his phone, opened his Notes app, and typed out something before sliding it subtly over to Taehyung.

The boy nearly flinched. That's how on edge he was.

Puzzled and uneasy, he shifted a quick, demanding glance over at Jungkook, who gestured at the phone. 

So Taehyung gave the note a reluctant read.