august 8th, 2017

[you]
✧✧✧
Your hands were sweating as you walked up to the front door.

This is ridiculous, you thought. Tyler is a friend. Just a friend.

You let out a small breath, then knocked on the door. It immediately swung open, and Tyler was standing on the other side, grinning. "Welcome!"

You grinned back. You could feel blush creeping onto your cheeks. "Hey, Ty!"

"Come inside, come inside," he ushered. You walked inside and inhaled deeply. You realized that you loved the smell of his house. It smelled like Tyler.

"Have a seat on the couch. The pizza already came," Tyler said, pointing at the pizza on the table in front of the couch. "I also made popcorn and put M&Ms in it. I hope you're okay with that."

"More than okay," you smiled shyly.

Why am I so nervous? you wondered. Butterflies flitted around in your stomach. You took a deep breath.

"So, what are we going to watch?" You implored.

Tyler sat down next to you. "Actually, I was hoping we could talk about something first..." he trailed off.

Your stomach dropped. You breathing automatically became more shallow, and you had to close your eyes for a second. Why am I so nervous? When you opened them, a lazy smile appeared on your face. "Of course. What's up?"

"Well, I—uh, I've been...I've been meaning to talk to you about this for a while." He scratched the back of his head. He sighed. "I can't say this right," he muttered.

You perked up an eyebrow in confusion. "Is everything okay?"

"Oh, yeah—more than okay," he burst out. "I just—Gah, I don't know how to word it right. I'm not very eloquent..."

You nodded, waiting, as anticipation began to build up.

What is it?

"Okay, I'm sorry..." He breathed. "I'm sorry. Okay."

You waited as he gathered himself. Anxiety began to grow. Suspense lingered.

"I—Look, [y/n], from the moment I met you, I thought you were the prettiest girl in the world."

A smile appeared on your face. A tiny ray of hope sparked in your chest.

"I've thought that for years. Years." He paused, cringing. "I hope that doesn't sound too creepy."

The ray of hope exploded into a full on beam, and it showed on your face. You shook your head, because you couldn't find words to speak.

"And, well, what I'm trying to say is..." he trailed off, looking at his hands.

You took shallow breaths. No way is he going to say what I think he's going to say.

"I..." He looked around. His face was a deep ruby color. "I—I like..."

"Yeah?" you mumbled.

"I'd like to offer you a job," he pushed out. Then his face paled and he stood up suddenly, walking to the kitchen.

You froze.

What?

You slowly turned to face him. "Wait, so... I...I'm confused, here."

"Yeah. Yeah, uh... I think my team could really use your skill." He bit his lip, looking anywhere but at you.

"And what about me being pretty?" you spat. This was not the direction you expected this conversation to go.

"I—what?" he asked, taken off guard.

"You said I was pretty. Is that the only reason you want me working for you?" you stood up, anger rising. Why couldn't he just say it? What was he so afraid of? Did he just not like you? You couldn't understand.

"Wh—no! That's not what I—"

"I don't see what that has to do with you offering me a job at all. I don't see why you said it in the first place," you growled, snatching up your phone and heading for the door.

"[y/n], I—"

"No, Tyler. That's my answer. Until you can tell me the truth, without coming up with dumb excuses, no!" You said it as if you meant the reasons for the job offer, but that's not what you meant. At all.

"I—"

But his words were cut off as you shut the door behind you and got into your car.

Tears began to form in your eyes as you drove away.

How could he set you up like that?

Why couldn't he just say it?
✧✧✧