Chapter 3: Part 3: Khal

Eris sat rigid on the tree trunk, uneasy. Father had to come back, because she couldn't remember exactly what direction the farm was in. Everything looked the same this deep in the woods.

"Do you think he'll be okay?" Willet looked even more worried than she felt, on the edge of panic.

"He has a pretty good chance. He's the best archer and javelin thrower in the world." She slid the sack of food off and placed it beside her, stretching her shoulders. "Let's just try to rest. Here, have some water."

They drank from one of the casks in the sack even though it was lukewarm, then waited. Minutes slowly ticked by. Eris listened to the birds and watched some playful squirrels, trying to distract herself. Willet walked back and forth along the tree trunk, then lay stomach down, restlessly picking at the wood beneath him with his dagger.

"How much longer--" he began, but just then a herd of deer burst out of nowhere, bounding at top speed through the forest. Willet sat up quickly. "Eris, look!"

Eris straightened, watching in astonishment as they sped by. If only Father had let her bring her bow and arrows! Suddenly there was a sound. An earsplitting crack like thunder, only higher pitched. One of the deer twitched unnaturally in midair and crashed to the ground, unmoving.

Three more loud cracks rang out, and three more deer dropped like they'd been struck dead by lightning. The rest of the deer disappeared and all was silent. Too silent.

"What was that?" Willet whispered, wide-eyed, looking around them nervously.

His question was answered a moment later. A giant winged man with long white hair came stalking through the woods. He wore an elegant long-sleeved dark jacket with fine gold embroidery, and an elaborate gilded rapier swung from his hip. In his hand was a strange object she couldn't identify. Eris clamped a hand over her terrified brother's mouth as the Celestulus strode over to the fallen deer. "All too easy," he remarked in a dry tone.

Two more Celestulus, both with wavy golden locks, approached the first. "I warned you the wildlife on this planet was simple prey," the taller golden-haired one stated mildly.

The shorter golden-haired man prodded a dead deer with his foot. "The game on Ealea is definitely more engaging."

The lead Celestulus looked up suddenly and spotted the children. "Well. What have we here."

The other two glanced up as well, looking somewhat surprised. "Human children . . . are they siblings?" The shorter golden-haired one murmured to the other.

"How should I know?"

Eris stiffened as the first white-haired Celestulus approached the fallen log. His pale silver eyes and narrow face reminded her of a snake; sly, cold, and mean. The man looked down at them with a narrow hard stare.

"Get up," he ordered in a crisp, sharp tone.

Willet scrambled to obey, standing up on the tree trunk. Eris thought about staying seated, but then she'd be vulnerable. So grudgingly she stood as well. Even with the boost the fallen tree provided them, the winged alien still loomed over the children. 

"Kneel," the Celestulus commanded.

Eris rolled her eyes. "Do you want us up or down? Make up your mind."

The shorter golden-haired Celestulus snickered until the taller one gave him a sharp swat with one wing on the back of his head. The white-haired man in front of them also gave a short laugh, but it was mirthless. Then before Eris could so much as flinch, he reached out and backhanded her face, sending her flying off the tree trunk. Willet screamed her name as she landed in a heap on the ground, head ringing.

"Kneel!" The white-haired Celestulus bellowed, spreading his powerful wings aloft in an intimidation display. Sobbing, Willet collapsed to his knees, eyes squeezed shut. The white-haired Celestulus gave a small, smug smile, then glanced down at Eris still sprawled on the forest floor. "You would do well to learn from your brother, little snipe."

Eris stood carefully, rubbing the throbbing side of her face. Her eyes had tears in them, but she was also enraged. She strode back over to the tree trunk and climbed back on, then stood as tall and rigid as she could, fists clenched. "I don't kneel to foul tyrannical beasts like you. Knock me around all you like. I. Won't. Budge."

The Celestulus' face tightened, and he pointed the strange object in his hand at her forehead. "See this? This is called a firearm. As you undoubtedly witnessed with the four-legged creatures, it can kill instantly from any distance." His lip curled in a sneer. "At this range, with a little head like yours . . . I doubt there will be much left."

Eris looked him directly in the eyes. She was terrified, but her mouth would not stop. "At least dead I'll be free of your kind. Go ahead. Show your friends what a strong and mighty Celestulus you are by killing a little girl."

The taller golden-haired Celestulus stepped forward alongside his firearm-welding companion. "Don't waste the ammo, Khal. Especially here in Nollom's district; you know how he is about his humans. Let's just go."

"Scrawny little things won't last long in this forest anyway," the shorter one added.

Khal ground his teeth together, then lowered the firearm, bending down close to Eris's face. "Should you survive these woods," he hissed softly, "and we ever meet again, I will squash you like the insect you are."

Eris crossed her arms over her chest and just glowered in response. The Celestulus withdrew and turned his feathery back. All three of the men strode off through the woods, speaking in low tones. Not ten minutes later Father emerged from the ancient structure dragging the remains of a fine elk. He stopped upon seeing the dead deer strewn across the forest floor, and his eyes grew wide as he took in his children.

Willet was still kneeling on the tree trunk crying and clinging to Eris, who realized the side of her face must be forming quite a bruise. She told Father everything that had happened, and his expression went from bewildered to grim worry. "Come. We're going home."

"Can we take any of the deer they killed?" Eris dared to question. It seemed like such a waste to leave perfectly good venison lying there for the bears and wolves.

Father grunted, heaving the dead elk onto his back. "If you can carry it."

Silently, Eris and Willet followed Father through the trees once more. She wasn't positive, but she thought she heard him mutter, "Why is it always you, Eris?"

She wished she knew.