Chapter 4 Part 4: Aace Quarrel

The days went by and Eris's ankles healed. She spent most of her time with Imani, who rarely left the place. The woman was gentle, kind, and worked hard to keep Eris entertained as the girl was not allowed to leave the building. Cassin came and went at random for varied periods of time, never speaking about where she went or what she did, but the secrecy only served to make Eris more fascinated by her. The woman seemed tickled by the girl's attention, though it became clear she had no sense of propriety where children were concerned.

Imani was constantly rebuking the young woman for telling Eris stories full of violence, gore, and deceit, using coarse language, flaunting her self-made swords. Cassin would roll her eyes and state that a girl had to learn about the real world sometime. Eris greatly enjoyed that the woman often treated her like an equal instead of like a child too young to be told anything.

Aside from the two women, many strangers came and went daily. Sometimes Eris would wake up to an unknown adult eating breakfast with Imani, or fall asleep sharing the only bed in the place with another child or two. None of the children who came stayed longer than a few days, and all of them were too shaken from their experiences to feel like playing. Eris always did her best to comfort and help take care of them, causing Cassin to suggest that the girl just stay with Imani as a junior Defiant.

Eris knew she was only joking, but as the days turned into weeks she grew uneasy. Why hadn't she been returned to her family yet? She was sure she'd missed out on pig slaughtering for the year, that is if her family had even participated. She tried to ask Imani about going home, but the woman would just sooth her and say things like "soon", "when Java comes for you", and "as soon as it's safe". So on the next rare occasion that Imani was gone and Cassin was sprawled out in a chair by the door sharpening arrowheads, Eris confronted her with the question instead.

The young woman studied the arrowhead she was currently working on, seeming to think carefully before answering. "Much as I'd love to give it to you straight," she stated finally, "Imani thinks we should wait."

Eris breathed deeply to keep from throwing a fit. Cassin would only ignore her if she acted like a baby. So she stood up and gathered the few clothes she'd been given, along with some fruit and bread from the cupboard. She could feel Cassin watching her, but the woman didn't say a word until she pulled on the small boots Imani had bought her and started for the door.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"Home." Eris grabbed the door handle and pulled.

Without looking Cassin stuck out her leg which was slung over the chair arm, effortlessly kicking the door shut. "Not yet you aren't."

Eris glared at her. "I'm not stupid! I know something is wrong or I would've been sent home long before this. My family is in trouble!"

"You don't know that. Besides." Cassin calmly selected a different arrowhead and began to sharpen it. "Even if they were, there's nothing you could do about it. You'd only make matters worse. Or get into trouble right along with them."

"I don't care!" Eris couldn't help shouting. "I belong with them! Hurt, in prison, dead-- nothing is worse than not being together!" She pulled on the door handle.

Cassin kicked it shut, then kept her leg held out, preventing Eris from opening the door again. After struggling unsuccessfully for a minute, the girl gritted her teeth. Another idea crossed her mind.

"Fine." She stomped over to the bed in the next room and stuffed her bundle of belongings under it, then stat down with her arms folded. "Just. Fine. When Imani comes back and you leave, I'll just wait until she falls asleep, then go home."

"Good plan. But there's a few holes." Cassin casually blew metallic powdery residue off her arrow. "The first being you just told me what the plan was, so." She placed the arrowhead down and picked up another. "Secondly, you don't know the way back to your little farm from here, and even if you did, you wouldn't get very far on foot. Thirdly--" she lowered her leg, straightening her posture, "your community is about two hundred miles away. That's a four day ride on horseback, in five degree Celsius weather. You got the money for food and shelter? How about weapons to protect yourself?"

Eris felt her bravado shrinking into a ball of despair and helplessness. Her shoulders sagged.

"I didn't think so." Cassin went back to sharpening her arrowheads.

The young woman was right. There was no way she would make it back home safely on her own. She had no choice but to wait. Eris lay down with her back to the woman and curled up as her tears began to flow. She wanted Mother and Willet and Father so very badly. Why didn't anyone understand how much she missed them? Needed them? If only she could know they were alright . . . if only she was a little older and smarter and stronger like Cassin--Cassin! Eris bolted upright, wiping her eyes. "Cassin!"

Cassin glanced up with a raised eyebrow as the girl raced over.

Eris's eyes sparkled with excitement. "You could take me home!"

"No."

Eris's smile dropped. "Why not?"

Cassin exhaled, closing her eyes in exasperation. "Because I can't leave Dormere right now. Because Imani would kill me. Because you'd drive me insane, and because I don't want to."

"Well could you at least try and find out if they're okay?" Eris begged. "There's Defiant spies, right? Couldn't you ask for one to--"

"No!" Cassin abruptly stood up, sweeping the arrowheads into her pouch.

Eris grabbed her arm. "Cassin, please! I'll do anything!"

"Don't beg. It's obnoxious." The woman jerked away and opened the door.

"Hey, where are you going?" Eris tried to follow her outside but Cassin shoved her back in.

"Anywhere you are not." The woman began to pull the door shut.

Eris desperately stuck her leg in the way, wincing. "You can't leave me alone!"

"Watch me." Cassin opened the door long enough to grasp her arm and toss her backward to the floor, then slammed it shut.

Eris jumped back and grabbed the handle, but it wouldn't open. "Cassin! Let me out! Cassin!" Fury ripped through her as she pounded on the door, shrieking curses and calling the young woman every vulgar word she'd learned. Suddenly the door swung open, nearly knocking her over. Imani stood there holding bulging cloth sacks.

Eris backed away sullenly, her face flushing bright pink.

"Young lady, you are lucky you are not my daughter. I'd have your head over a basin scrubbing out that mouth of yours with soap." She stepped inside and closed the door.

"I want to go home, and I want to go home now." Eris didn't know her voice could sound so fierce and enraged and demanding.

Imani set her sacks on the table, then looked down at her. "Don't take that tone with me, child. As it is, Java will be coming back tomorrow morning, very early. I suggest you get to sleep early tonight. It will be the last decent rest you'll have for quite some time."