Chapter 7 Part 1: Alone

The weeks crept by at an agonizing pace. Eris was hyperaware every waking moment. She memorized Sir Edwan's schedules so she knew when he was most likely to be around. She learned Mrs. Edwan's comings and goings, as well as all the servants. She made sure she was never alone anywhere. And she stayed with Mnason as frequently as possible.

At first the boy had resented her for leaving and refused to speak to her, but Eris tried extremely hard to be nice and he quickly opened up again.
He was still a brat. But Eris realized that this was not really his fault. The boy was denied nothing except parental love and attention. Even his so-called friends that would come over to the big house to play were often mean to him, breaking his toys or teasing him until he cried.

Eris played with Mnason, told him stories, and cooked him his favorite meals so he didn't have to eat with the boring grownups all the time. She still made him dress and wash himself, but the boy was so used to it he never even asked for help anymore. Mrs. Edwan was thrilled; not only was she rid of dealing with her son, but Mnason was actually behaving a lot better now. She was so pleased, she actually started paying the girl. Not much, but enough for Eris to buy a small dagger that she kept in a sheath under her clothes.

Eris remained alert, even at night. The slightest sound would wake her immediately, even if it was just the soft rustle of Shade preening. If noise didn't wake her, the nightmares did. Horrible, petrifying dreams of Sir Edwan chasing her, or his fingers crawling across her body like spiders as his disgusting slobbery mouth covered hers. She hated how afraid she was of this man, but what could she do? So she remained silent. Vigilant. And scared.

Finally, it was time for school. Mrs. Edwan overloaded Eris with fine clothes to bring, but she only packed two trunks. Nobody needs that much to wear. Early in the morning as the sun was rising, Eris once more helped load belongings into a wagon--only this time there wasn't much to put in. Shade cawed loudly, pacing inside the birdcage on the floor of the wagon bed.

"Be respectful," Mother urged, her words tumbling out as she struggled to keep from crying. "Don't speak unless spoken to. Do as you're told, and stay out of trouble!"

"I got it, Mother." Jikes. She acts like I want to be a problem.

Eris glanced over at Father. He came forward and hugged her. "Be safe," was all he said.

She nodded, then looked up at the big house. Mnason was standing in his window high above, looking down at her. She waved. He stuck his tongue out at her, then disappeared. Typical.
Mrs. Edwan was still asleep, but Sir Edwan stood in the open doorway. He stood with his hands in his suit pockets, dark hair swirling around his face. Eris refused to look in his direction.

Mother pulled her into one last hug, tears escaping her. "We love you, Eris. So much."

Eris hugged her, regretting deeply that she had to go. That they all couldn't leave this cursed place. "I love you too."

"Eris!" Sir Edwan called to her. "May I speak to you for a moment?"

Hölle no! Her insides recoiled.

But Mother smiled and nudged her in the man's direction. "Go on. Be polite."

She went up the porch steps reluctantly, pausing several feet away and looking only at his shoes. "What."

He held out his hand. Eris couldn't see what was in it; she'd have to move closer. Gritting her teeth, the girl stepped up to him. Inside his hand was a delicate necklace with a little gold tree branch set with tiny green stones for leaves.

"For the girl who loves trees," he said with a smile, placing it in her hand.

Eris stared at it as if he'd handed her a cow turd.

He bent lower, speaking softly so only she could hear. "Something to remember me by, until you return."

"I. Don't. Want it." She held it back out.

He gripped her wrist so tightly Eris had to grit her teeth to keep from whimpering. Mother couldn't see what he was doing from this angle; no one could. He bent closer, his handsome face still pleasant as ever as he took the piece of jewelry and placed it around her neck, securing the clasp. But his eyes . . . Not even a Celestulus could've matched the level of malice they held.

"Wear it. Every day. And bring it back to me intact. Or I'll ensure you never see your parents again." With a fond wink and smile, he straightened. "Have a good time at school, little huntress."

Shaking, Eris turned and made her way back to the wagon. The lightweight necklace felt like a ball and chain around her neck, making it hard to breathe. She felt sick. But she didn't dare take it off.

Mother gave her one last hug, admiring the necklace. "It's beautiful! Did you say thank you?"

"Yes." Eris abruptly climbed into the wagon bed.

Mother frowned slightly. "Are you alri--?"

Eris cut her off. "I'm good, Mother." She managed a half-smile. "I'll be back."

Mother smiled and squeezed her hand, then backed away from the wagon. "Stay strong! Remember to dye your hair every month! Love you!"

She and Father waved as the wagon lurched forward and rumbled away from the side of the city street. Eris waved back, smiling, until they were out of sight. Then she reached up and tried to undo the necklace clasp. For hours she struggled, but the clasp was complex and small, constantly slipping out of her fingers with the jostling of the wagon wheels.

Finally she curled up in defeat, gripping the handle of her dagger. Looking out the back of the wagon, she saw the big house growing smaller and smaller. She swallowed. This was it. The moment she'd dreaded her entire life. She was now completely and utterly alone.

*to be cont*