Chapter 5 Part 1: Home Bitter Home

Eris was beyond giddy with excitement the next morning. She had been living with Imani for almost six weeks; the longest period she'd ever spent away from home. But Java was coming any minute to take her back. Any minute now.

"Sit down and finish your oatmeal," Imani scolded her as she jumped up to peer out the window for the third time.

"I heard footsteps," Eris insisted, squinting into the dark alley. The sun hadn't risen yet, and wouldn't for a while since it was now early winter.

"This is a city. Many people walk by. Now sit." Imani pointed firmly to the chair across from her.

The girl took one last look around before obeying, sitting back down at the table. "Will Cassin be back before I leave?"

Imani sipped at her steaming mug and tugged her wool shawl closer around her shoulders. "Hard to say. It depends on where she is and what she's up to." Imani peered at her. "Though if I were her and you had spoken to me like you did to her yesterday, I certainly wouldn't make an effort to see you off."

Eris squirmed. "I was mad. People say things they don't mean when they're mad."

Imani grunted and went back to sipping her drink.

Eris took a bite of sweet hot oatmeal. "I hope she'll forgive me," she murmured mostly to herself. She glanced back up at the old woman who had taken care of her for so long. "I'm sorry, Imani."

Imani glanced up, apparently surprised. "What for?"

"For yelling at you and saying bad words."

Imani relaxed. "That's alright. I know you miss your parents and brother. You just gotta try to remember to calm down and think before you speak in the future."

Eris nodded. There was a brief silence. "Thank you for taking care of me and keeping me safe. I won't ever forget it."

Imani simply smiled at her.

"Oh. And I'm sorry I ate all your dried peaches."

"You did what?!"

The door flew open and in strode Java, her long dark braids flying. "Is the girl ready?"

Imani stood. "Nice to see you too, daughter. She'll be ready in a moment." The older woman hurried Eris into her new coat and wrapped a thick soft scarf around the girl's head and face. "Don't forget your mittens now."

Eris pulled the handmade cotton mitts onto her hands, then Imani handed her a drawstring bag. "Here's your clothes and some food, and I packed a few other odds and ends as well for you and your family. Alright?"

Eris nodded. Imani smiled down at her, squeezing her shoulders. "Alright. You're all set. Stay safe, child."

The girl reached up and wrapped her arms around the old woman's neck. Imani hugged her back tightly.

"Will I ever see you again?" Eris asked, working hard not to tear up.

She felt Imani inhale deeply. "We can certainly hope, can't we."

"Tell Cassin I'm sorry and that I'll miss her, would you please?"

"I will."

"Mother." Java spoke with an impatient tone.

Imani released Eris. "Go on now."

Eris followed Java outside. The cold wintery air was shocking after the toasty warm building. A thin layer of snow lined the alley. Small flakes were drifting slowly toward the ground.
Instead of a single horse and saddle, a small carriage drawn by two horses was stopped a few feet away. The alley was barely wide enough for Java to open the carriage door for Eris to step inside. She sat down, then leaned forward to wave at Imani. Java closed the door in her face, so Eris settled back and peered through the carriage's small side window. Imani stood just outside the building in her shawl, highlighted by the light from within. Eris felt her heart twinge; she hoped the old woman wouldn't get too lonely without her. Up in the coachman's seat Java got the horses moving and the carriage pulled away.

Eris exhaled, warming her face with her own breath trapped in the scarf. She was going home. Back to the farm. To Mother and Father and Willet. She squeezed her hands together in anticipation, hoping the trip would be a quick one. Java drove the horses along at a brisk pace, and they were soon out of the city rolling along a dark road.

Hours passed, and it grew lighter outside. The day felt excruciatingly slow as Eris had nothing to do in the carriage but look out the windows. That night they stayed at an inn in a small village. Java would not tell Eris where they were, or allow her to leave the small room she rented.

In the morning before first light they were back on the road. By the end of the third day Eris was tired, cold, and out of food. But all of her discomfort was forgotten as the carriage pulled into a familiar village; her village. She was almost home! A huge smile broke across her face as she gazed out at the familiar shop fronts. But to her confusion, instead of continuing straight through the village, the carriage made a turn down a slightly narrow street. The shops and businesses morphed into simple houses stacked side by side. This wasn't the way to the farm.

"Java!" Eris banged on the underside of the carriage below where she knew the woman sat. "Java, this is the wrong way! Go back to the main road!"

Either Java couldn't hear her or Eris was being ignored, because the carriage continued on its way. It stopped in front of a depressing looking cluster of shabby living quarters, deep in the center of the village. Eris frowned as Java opened the carriage door.

"This isn't where I live. Take me back to my parent's farm!"

Java inhaled deeply, then spoke in a surprisingly quiet tone. "Your parents don't own a farm anymore."

Eris blinked. Those words did not make sense at all. What kind of outrageous lie was this? Of course her parents had a farm! "Java, this isn't funny. I want to go home now!"

"Eris?" A familiar voice was calling from outside.

Eris's eyes widened. Without another word she scrambled out of the carriage and jumped down to the frozen dirt street. Her ears were not mistaken, yet she could hardly believe her eyes. "Mother?!"

Mother ran over to her, openly sobbing. Eris was snatched up and squeezed so hard she could just barely breathe, though she hardly minded. "Mother! I missed you so much! What are you doing here in the village? Are Father and Willet with you?"

But Mother didn't say a word. She just held her tightly and cried. At first Eris figured it was just because she had been missed so badly, but these didn't seem like happy tears to her. "Mother? What's wrong?"

After a moment Mother finally released her. Her eyes were red with dark circles around them. She looked thinner, and there was a long ugly scar across her forehead. She cupped Eris's face in her gloved hands and kissed her cheeks hard. "Come. Let's get you out of this cold."

Still very much perplexed, Eris grabbed her pack and followed her into one of the townhouses. Mother paused only long enough to nod quickly at Java before shutting the door. Then she led Eris down a wood staircase and through a very narrow corridor to a second door, which she opened. Eris stepped inside. It was far warmer than outside. A small bare room greeted her; only a table, some chairs and benches, a stone fireplace, and a few barrels and large sacks. It was far too quiet.

"We live here now." Mother spoke quietly as she lit a candle on the table.

Eris stared at her. "W...why? What happened?" She glanced around the room again. "Where's Father and Willet?"

Mother didn't answer for the longest moment, gazing into the small flame. "Willet is gone. The Celestulus took him."

*to be cont*