Chapter 2: He's Bad News (Jan.)

While walking to and from class Damien remained stuck by Noah like glue.

They had almost every class together except calculus since Damien was a grade below Noah. Damien explained the basic rules of the school and even told Noah some of the gossip floating around about different students and a couple teachers.

Damien let Noah know who threw the best parties, what clubs were the most fun and involved the least work, what teachers to kiss up to and to bring lunch to school rather than pay to eat.

Noah found Damien quite strange, he was an intimidating boy for sure but when he spoke all that intimidation was thrown out the window. Damien played soccer and he was known as a huge gossip in school, he apparently knew all the tea but he wasn't willing to spill it all every time he got it. He told Noah what he knew so Noah would catch up and be on the same page as everyone else. Which Noah was somewhat thankful for considering he knew no one in the area yet.

During lunch, Damien introduced Noah to some of his soccer friends, a red-haired boy with freckles named Nico who was thankfully the same height as Noah. A tall brown skinned boy with neat dreads wrapped in a bun and beautiful brown eyes named Demarcus. A beautiful blonde girl named Melissa and lastly a cute curly haired girl with green eyes named Ivy. Noah greeted them all and they all seemed excited to meet the new student the school had apparently been buzzing about.

During lunch some else caught Noah's eyes. In the far corner of the cafeteria a tall boy sat alone eating his lunch. From what Noah could see from all the moving heads around him, the boy looked to be about the same height as Damien, maybe taller. He had wavy inky black hair that reached his shoulder and fair skin. He looked like a vampire dressed in all black, Noah couldn't really get a good look at the boy's face but his presence was hard to ignore. He looked out of place in the cafeteria full of chatty students.

Damien noticed Noah staring off somewhere and when he realized who he was looking at he quickly tapped Noah's shoulder to get his attention.

In a hushed voice Damien said, "I'd avoid that guy if I were you."

"Why? Who is he?" Noah replied, surprised by Damien's sudden change of attitude.

"Who's who?" Melissa asked, after hearing the question and catching everyone at the table's attention.

Suddenly all eyes were on Noah and Damien. Damien chuckled awkwardly and Noah quickly saved him by asking if the teacher for their art class was fun or not. Everyone seemed satisfied with the reply except Demarcus who seemed to catch onto the small lie but said nothing and joined in on Melissa, Nico and Ivy's conversation about whether or not it was necessary to study for their history exam since they were sure it would be easy.

The school day finally ended and Damien walked Noah to his car. When they said their goodbyes, Noah stopped Damien. The boy from the cafeteria was still on his mind.

"The guy in the cafeteria..." Noah started, he was way too curious for his own good. Being told to give something a rest or to disregard something always lit a fire in him.

"Noah look-" Damien started but Noah cut him off.

"I just want to know his name." Noah said quickly.

Damien looked at Noah for a long while before signing and giving in to the smaller boy's request.

"His name is Shade." Damien finally answered, "He's bad news so if I were you I wouldn't get involved with him." With that Damien left Noah in the parking lot heading back toward Westwood for soccer practice.

Suddenly Shade was ten times more interesting.