Chapter 18: Unexpected Guests (July)

It was a month and half since graduation and the summer heat was in full blast. Shade never spoke to Noah about the conversation he had with his sister Clare after graduation. Noah never brought it up since Shade didn't know that Noah knew something might be wrong.

Shade got a summer job at a men's fashion house in Westwood central near the French restaurant they visited. He said the job was pretty relaxed and the pay was good. A couple of weeks ago Noah and Shade told Sheila and Scott their plans on moving out. Sheila cried that one of her little birds would be leaving the nest and Scott kept asking them if they were sure about it. To which they replied 'yes'.

News came back about what happened to Melissa after she was arrested in April. Her parents hired very good attorneys who were able to get her a lesser sentence and to have her be tried as a minor rather than an adult which was what the courts were trying to do on the grounds that Noah was pregnant so it wasn't just his life in danger. But alas they tried her as a minor and she was sent to an out of state correctional facility for teens. Her parents moved out of Westwood shortly after, unable to bear the constant criticism they were getting for not knowing their daughter was a dangerous stalker.

Nico and May were traveling the country and sent postcards to Shade whenever they were in a new city. Demarcus was out of the country for the summer visiting family. So, Noah spent most of his time either with Shade when he wasn't at work or with Damien who literally had nothing better to do at his house. Scott worked and Sheila was busying herself with volunteer work leaving Noah to babysit Rose with Damien while Adrian helped whenever he felt like it.

Noah and Shade were in the process of packing up their belongings from their homes. They were able to find a nice two bedroom apartment in a community called Sun Valley. It was a little high end but the location was good. It was at the halfway point between Noah's parents' home and Stonewell University since Shade lived farther from Stonewell than Noah did. They were just waiting to get the email saying their lease was approved so they could start moving in.

Damien was over at Noah's house helping him pack more stuff into more boxes while Adrian sat on his bed glancing over at Rose every few minutes to make sure the baby didn't crawl off the bed. Noah was heavily pregnant and was a little over a month away from popping. Everything seemed to hurt, his back, his feet, his lungs, everything. Dr. Leroy said his little jelly bean was going to be a big bean and due to the size of the baby he was asked to go to the nearest hospital the moment he felt he might be in labor.

Noah sat on the bed to catch his breath while Damien questioned him on where to pack what when the doorbell rang. Adrian hopped off the bed running to the door to check on who was visiting. There were low murmurs as Adrian spoke to whoever was at the door before he steps were suddenly thumping up the stairs quickly. He looked strangely panicked when he entered Noah's room.

"Guys Shade's parents are here." He said slightly out of breath.

"What?" Damien and Noah said equally surprised.

Noah looked at Damien and Damien looked at him wide eyed.

"Shit." Damien left the room quietly before returning. "Shit they are actually here." He looked a bit panicked which wasn't good since it was making Noah panic. Noah knew that Shade's parents were hardly ever home but he didn't think they would elicit the responses that Damien and Adrian were displaying. "Okay, you need to go downstairs, like, right now." Damien said. "When does Shade usually visit you?"

"He comes during his lunch break and after work." Noah said looking at the time and seeing it was about ten minutes until Shade's lunch would start.

"Okay. Uh, be polite?" Damien questioned.