Chapter 1: New School, New State (Jan.)

Moving for some people is always a tough and irritating situation to process.

For others it's a new beginning that they welcome with open arms. For Noah it was the former. Going from one state to another was already a hassle but deciding to go via car and not plane, hell going by train would have been better to Noah as he sunk onto the naked mattress of his bed. He was completely exhausted from the four-day long drive from Massachusetts to Florida.

The O'Neil household was bustling with energy as Noah's younger brother ran around the house and his baby sister screamed for attention downstairs. The movers were doing most of the work but Noah being Noah didn't want them doing everything so every so often he'd go back into the cool outdoors and bring in a couple boxes.

Finally, after getting everything they needed into the new house; the unpacking began. Noah's mother, Sheila O'Neil began setting up baby Rose's nursery so she could sleep in peace while Noah helped his father Scott O'Neil with his brother's room.

Sheila was an average height woman with curly hair that ran down her back. She had a curvy physique and a young face for a woman nearing her forties. Scott was a tall man with pale skin compared to Sheila's medium to dark skin tone. He had black hair and hazel eyes that Rose alone inherited. He was large and intimidating to most with his athletic football build.

The O'Neil household was mostly set up by nightfall. Furniture that needed assembly were assembled and furniture sets were grouped together. The home was starting to look like an actual home even though it did look like a stock photo with little personal touches not yet added.

Noah was finally able to get some rest after such a long day.

Noah woke up early the next morning to a quiet home. Rose was still asleep along with his parents and younger brother, Adrian.

Noah made his way to the bathroom connected to his and Adrian's room and got ready for the first day of school. He looked at himself in the mirror. The tiredness and stress were evident under his black almond shaped eyes. His curly hair looked tangled and his normally full lips were dry and cracked. The only good thing was his olive skin looked plump with life even though he wasn't feeling very lively.

After brushing his teeth, showering, attempting to do his hair and getting dressed Noah decided to turn on his phone.

He turned it off to avoid the depressing goodbye messages from his friends and family up north. The move was already unbearable, he didn't need the added sadness that he was soon exposed to when all his unread messages started pouring in.

He read through each of them teary eyed and sent replies to stay in touch and how he made it down safely with his family. He was sent pictures and videos; his best friend Monica Johnson sent a small essay about how they met and how he will always be in her heart. Noah laughed at her over the top message, they were acting like he died when all he did was move. But he understood where they were coming from, he'd probably feel the same way they felt if Monica or any of his other friends or family moved states away.

Noah sniffled a bit, he was upset that he had to make new friends now. It would be hard for him since it was already the middle of the school year and on top of that it was his senior year. Not only would everyone already have their friend groups solidified but he'd have to make new friends all over again when he graduates in a couple months and attends college.

The sound of the floorboards above the living room alerted Noah of his parents waking up and the loud thud from upstairs told him Adrian, who probably fell out of bed, was awake also.

He listened as everyone went about their morning routines, his mother left her room to check on Rose before she made her way downstairs only to be startled to see her eldest son sitting in the dimly lit living room.

"Jesus, Noah," she breathed out clutching her chest, "why are you sitting here in the dark?" she asked, heading for the window and pulling the curtains open.

She turned when she didn't get a response and saw Noah's red eyes as he held back tears.

"Oh baby," she said sitting next to him on the couch rubbing his back, "I know, I know, it's okay to cry, keeping it bottled up will only make it hurt more." Sheila kissed her son on his forehead and squeezed his hand. She knew what Noah had to leave behind, but she also knew she couldn't leave Noah behind either.

"I'm fine," Noah breathed, after a long silence between him and his mother, "I'm good, I'm good." He forced a smile which didn't reassure Sheila but she knew when Noah felt like talking he would talk eventually.

Sheila nodded, gave Noah one more kiss and went into the kitchen to prepare breakfast for everyone.

Noah drove to his new high school as slowly as possible. The drive was dreadfully long yet he still made it to Westwood High on time.

Driving up to the student parking lot in his peeling red 2016 Nissan Altima Noah noticed all the high-end vehicles parked in front of the school and had to make sure he was at the right place. He'd never seen so many BMWs, Lexus', and Mercedes all in one place, he even spotted a shiny white Porsche.

Not wanting to look like a creep as he slowly drove past a group of girls in the parking lot he quickly found a spot and parked. After taking a couple deep breaths he finally got out of his car and headed inside the school.

The halls were filled with students laughing, talking, and a couple students were looking at Noah and whispering. He went to the office which was located just after the entrance and told the front desk lady he was a new student and he needed his schedule for the year.

The woman working in the office typed away at an ungodly speed after asking for Noah's name before rolling back towards the printing machine and retrieving the paper with the classes he'd be taking for the remainder of the year.

"You've basically finished a majority of the required courses except for calculus and a foreign language course so most of your classes are electives," the woman said handing Noah the sheet, "we have a buddy system for new students here so please wait for your buddy in the lobby, have a nice day and good luck."

Noah nodded and made himself comfortable while he waited for his "buddy" to arrive. While waiting Noah scrolled through his Instagram and watched a couple of his friend's stories. Noah sat and waited, lifting his head up every time the door opened only to go about his business again when the person was an adult or a student asking for something.

After what felt like hours Noah saw a pair of yellow converse step in front of him. He lifted his head up and was greeted by a massive guy.

The boy had to be at least six feet tall with a lean but muscular body. His bright hazel eyes contrasted with his black hair and tanned skin. He was looking down at Noah with a smirk.

"Hey, I'm your buddy for the week, Damien Soto." he said. Noah stood up and cringed a bit when he was met with Damien's chest and had to crane his neck up to look the boy in the eyes.

"Noah O'Neil." He said gathering his belongings. Damien made a humming sound before nodding and heading towards the door that led back into the main hall.

The first day at his new school in a new state was beginning.