Chapter 20: Oh Baby! (Sept.)

Noah and Shade laid in bed together talking about their day. Shade was complaining about his professors and how boring lectures were. He also mentioned a girl in his English class who made it a point to sit next to him every day even if he moved his seat. Noah found it funny how women thought Shade was available, little did they know he literally had a baby on the way with his live-in boyfriend. Noah talked about the shows he's been watching on Netflix and how he feels he could knit something more complex than a stupidly long scarf.

Monica was finally in Westwood and had finally met Shade in person for the first time. To Shade, Monica was just as much a whirlwind as Noah. The first day she got to Westwood she spent exploring it with poor Noah who only wanted to sleep. They visited Shade at work and went shopping together. Monica visited Scott and Sheila who were so happy to see her. Monica was staying with Noah's parents at their house. Noah offered for Monica to stay with him and Shade but she respectfully declined saying she'd be intruding on them. Shade really liked having Monica around, she kept Noah company when he couldn't and she seemed to have caught the eye of Damien who conveniently hasn't been busy with after school stuff and was able to stick around more often. But what Damien didn't know was that Monica was taken and she wasn't into younger guys to boot.

It was Saturday evening and for once since Monica got to Westwood she wanted to stay home and hangout with Noah, Adrian and Shade at their apartment. Shade was preparing lunch while Monica braided Adrian's hair and spoke to Noah excitedly about the baby. Monica was so happy when Noah officially asked her to be the baby's godmother, she basically wrote an acceptance speech about how honored she was to be given such a title.

While talking Noah suddenly gasped. Monica asked if he was okay and Shade stopped what he was doing, turned off the stove and went to check on Noah.

"Are you okay?" Shade asked.

"I think the baby's coming." Noah breathed.

"But it's a week before the due date, right?" Monica asked, worried while Adrian looked around calmly since he's been in this situation before with Sheila when Rose was coming.

"If he says the baby's coming then the baby's coming." Adrian said, turning on his phone. "I'll call mom and dad to let them know to meet us at the hospital."

"Oh my god." Monica said.

Noah let out another groan of pain as he felt a sharp clenching and unclenching in his stomach. Shade's eyes widened and quickly told Monica to help him bring Noah downstairs to the car.

Noah felt like he was getting stabbed in the stomach every 2 to 3 minutes, Shade and Monica got Noah to Shade's Porsche as quickly and safely as possible. Adrian followed close behind, locking the apartment door before rushing to the car. Noah sat in the back seat with Monica and Adrian on either side of him. He was breathing heavily and groaning every few minutes as the sharp pains seemed to be coming faster and more intense than the last. Monica was rubbing his back as she pushed his curly hair out of his face.

"Breath Noah, breath." She said.

"I am bre-" he was cut off by another sharp pain.

The 15 minute drive to the hospital felt like hours of torturous pain as Noah was now crying and sweating as the sharp pains seemed to get closer and closer. Shade sped into the hospital emergency bay and parked the car. Adrian and Monica quickly got out, Monica yelling for a wheelchair while Shade helped Noah who could barely make it out of the car. Nurses ran to Noah with a gurney, Shade helped the nurses get him on and started to rush into the hospital just as Scott and Sheila pulled up with Rose. Sheila ran to Noah's side watching as her son cried in pain.

Shade held onto Noah's hand as the nurse yelled that everyone got out of the way so they could get through to the operation room. The nurses paged the current surgeon available, Dr. Helena, who was apparently head of pediatrics, was on call and asked to meet for an urgent male cesarean.

Noah was sterilized before entering the operation room. Shade was also sterilized and given a gown, hair net the whole nine yards. Sheila, Scott, Adrian, and Monica were all told to stay in the waiting room while the baby was delivered.

Noah was crying and scared but Shade held onto his hand the entire time. Dr. Helena said her every move and reassured Noah that he was doing great. It was quiet for so long, the sounds of the machines being the only thing he could hear before the deafening cries of a baby could be heard. Dr. Helena handed the crying baby to a nurse that was holding a blanket ready to wrap the baby up.

"Congratulations, you have one healthy baby boy." Dr. Helena said.

The nurse brought the wailing infant to Noah, placing the baby onto his chest. The baby had his eyes shut tight as he screamed to the heavens. Noah was sobbing as loud as his son and Shade was in tears watching Noah and his son both cry. All three of them were a sobbing mess and the nurses all clapped at the safe delivery of their son.

Noah had fallen asleep in the hospital room. The baby weighed in at 9 pounds 7 ounces and was completely healthy even though he was born a week earlier than predicted.

The nurses checked on Noah every hour or so to make sure nothing went wrong. Around 9 pm was when Noah finally woke up. He felt completely drained. Shade had been by his side the entire time along with the baby they had yet to name. Shade handed Noah their baby boy who was now cleaned and sleeping quietly in his arms.

Sheila and the others were finally able to visit Noah in his room. Sheila and Monica both cried at the sight of Noah and his baby. Monica laughed and said Noah looked like shit. Scott shed a couple tears at the sight of his first grandchild and Adrian cooed at his new nephew. Rose was just asleep in her car seat.

"What are you going to name him?" Monica asked, looking at Noah in awe.

"Maddox." Noah said, smiling from ear to ear.

Shade smiled at him and the baby, "Baby Maddox." He said. "He's perfect."

Fin