Chapter 12 - Benefits

"You know," he breathed out, wiping the sweat from his forehead as a sadistic smile played across his lips. "You're lucky that punch caught me off guard, little brother. Otherwise I would have gladly made sure you'd have a few missing teeth."

I swung my fist at him again but this time he dodged and vigorously smacked my face, causing me to tumble back into the fridge.

"If you keep acting like a little bitch, then I'll treat you like one," he dramatically pointed his finger up in warning. The son of a bitch was deriding me.

"Tell me what happened to my wife before I throw your ass out," I hissed, taking a challenging step forward.

"Calm down, bro. Don't get your G-string in a knot." He held his hands up in surrender, a condescending smile tugged on his lips.

"Noah," I growled, ready to attack him again.

"All I did was take her to the cinemas since you had left her all alone."

"Don't you dare twist this on me!" I gritted whilst he rolled his eyes sarcastically, unperturbed.

"Look, we had a great time. But when we left, some loser tried to mug us."

"Are you serious? What the hell happened? Did he hurt, Nat?" I panicked, my body trembled with rage.

"Whatcha think?" He shrugged with arrogance, which meant he did something. "I knocked that fucker out after he managed to hit Nat, causing her to fall onto the pavement."

"I can't fucking believe this. Why does trouble always follow you?"

"Dude, I'm the hero here. I saved her life from that piece of shit."

"And exposed her to extreme violence," I exclaimed sternly, full aware that Noah must have beaten the shit out of the mugger.

"That dickhead would have done a lot worse if I hadn't stepped in," he praised himself, his lips curved into a satisfied grin. I sighed in frustration, acknowledging he was right. He did protect her from a more grievous harm. My only regret was not teaching that son of a bitch a lesson myself. That said, I am relieved Noah was there. I don't know what I would have done if anything happened to her.

"Just, don't take her out anymore. She needs time to recover from this traumatising experience," I asserted.

"Don't worry ya head, little bro. I got better shit to do anyway," he retorted disdainfully, scratching the skin under his singlet.

"Good, I'll see to it." I strode past him, bumping shoulders as he closely watched me walk away. Something eerie flickered in his eyes. A look I couldn't quite decipher, nonetheless, invoked chills up my spine.

– – – NAT – – –

I was beaming all morning when Chris suggested that we'd go for a walk in the park and then to his favourite café. Analysing my closet, I pondered between wearing sandals or boots. The latter seemed more appealing, so I slipped on a pair of navy zipper boots – which complimented my dark denim jeans – a bomber jacket and a black tank top. I gave an approving nod at my reflection before applying light makeup and heading to where my sexy husband awaited.

Although I was petrified setting foot outside after what happened last night, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to spend valuable time with Chris. He held my hand, our fingers entwined, as we strolled through the park. 

An angelic smile occupied his face as his mesmerising green eyes peered at me with so much longing and love that I melted into butter every time I locked onto his gaze, sometimes flushing pink like a school girl whenever he was near. He playfully bit his bottom lip and formed a cocky grin when my blush intensified.