22. Past Tense

SETH

As we get inside, we were greeted by her mom, calling us for dinner. I look at Nicole who is standing right beside me.

"I'm just gonna change... You just go over there."

"...."

"Don't worry Lopez. They don't bite." She said, chuckling. I smile back at her and she stare at me.

"Well, you might want to let go of my hand.." She say.

"I prefer not to."

"Duh. Just let go. I'm just gonna change."

I nod, finally letting her hand go. I put my hands inside my jeans pocket and walk into their dining area.

"So, you're the guy." Her mom said as she takes a seat. We are the only ones sitting there, kinda makes me uncomfortable because I'm actually meeting her parents.

"I'm Colby.. Lopez." I say.

"Don't be nervous. I don't actually do interrogations. But if you want that way, I can do it."

"I'm... I'm totally fine."

"I know you were." She said, as her husband came, and so is JJ, sitting right in front of me.

"I still can't believe that Seth Rollins is in the house..." JJ said, admiring me. I then laugh at his attitude, because he acts like a fangirl.

"Still can't get over it..." His father say, sitting at the opposite where his wife is sitting. "Now where is Nicole?" He ask.

"She got dressed. She is your daughter, she always does that." She say, grabbing her fork and spoon.

"Can I get an autograph of you? Or at least, can we take a picture?" JJ ask again, and I chuckle.

"Yeah.. Sure.."

"After dinner." His dad commands and JJ nods immediately. Just in time, Nicole came down, wearing her usual shorts and a loose brown shirt. Her hair is all tied up, making a bun. She stops and look at me, then goes beside me.

"And a fun fact... That chair you're sitting right now Colby, is not occupied before. Nikki used to sit all by herself as Brie and JJ sits right next to each other. Now you're here, she'll no longer sit there, alone." Her mom said. I look at Nicole who is just looking at her plate.

"Is it true?" I ask.

"You'll believe mom, I guess." She say.

"Okay. Let's bow down our heads and thank God for the blessing." She said, reaching her hand to JJ and Nicole. They both reach it and Nicole reach out her hands to mine. I look at her and she looks at me.

"Well, you're not going to take my hand?" She ask. I didn't hesitate any longer and take her hand, intertwining our fingers. I reach out my other hand to his father, and he reach his too. We pray and after, we start eating.

It took us a bit longer because we had so much to talk about, and Nicole's not even talking. After eating, someone gets to collect our plates out, but we still continue talking.

Having so much fun chatting with them, I secretly slid my hand to Nicole's hand under the table, intertwining our fingers again. I look at her and she did too. I smile back at her and continue chatting with their parents.

"Well, here's a funny fact. Nicole here was afraid of swimming pools..."

"Dad!" Nicole said, stopping dad. All of us laugh as he continues.

"Maybe she WAS afraid. But when she's maybe 7, they had this swimming class already. Being so confident and fearless, she jump into the diving board and suddenly found herself drowning.. We got called into her school because she's crying and frozen. Probably, shocked and traumatized. Since then, she doesn't want to step foot into that swimming class again. The end."