Chapter III

“Why isn’t Harry here?” I whisper to Freddie as Dumbledore speaks.

            “He can’t know about this.” He simply replies.

            Why couldn’t he? He has the right to do whatever he wants. If only one of us has the right to fight it should be him. He passed the tournament, he faced Voldemort, and he lost his parents. It’s stupid to leave him out of this.

            “I need all of you to promise me that you won’t repeat any of this to him. If he tries to fight or create some sort of army, it’ll all come back at us.” Dumbledore says.

            He walks in my direction until I realize he’s going directly to me. He looks straight into my eyes and frowns. I can’t help the change of color if that’s what he’s thinking about.

            “Especially you miss Lavinia.” He says.

            I look up at Fred in help. I can’t be promising anything with the unbreakable vow or I’ll end up living through the consequences of Voldemort’s acts. I can’t control myself entirely –or that’s what Snape said- so what tells me I will be able to keep this promise?

            “Maybe there’s something else we can do.” Fred starts.

            “I’m afraid it’s the only thing we can do. You’ll have to stay close to your friends miss Lavinia. If you can’t control yourself then maybe the Order will.”

            I doubt I still have friends. They either died or think I’m nothing. I don’t doubt the Order will help me though. Anything will be done to keep the secret away from Harry. What if I can’t control myself? They might kill me before I kill myself.

            “Your hand, miss Lavinia.” He says as he pulls his sleeve up and waits for me to do the same.

            “You don’t have to if you don’t want.” Fred whispers.

            “Dumbledore said it. It’s the only thing to do.”

            I take his wrist and he does the same. Moody approaches, looking somehow different from last time I have seen him. A simple wand movement and our hands are covered with a small line of light.

            “Do you promise, Analeigh Lavinia, to keep the secret of the Order of the Phoenix to Harry Potter?” He asks.

            I hesitate a little bit. I know I have to do that but I feel horribly bad. I’m hiding things I shouldn’t have to hide. I’m lying to a brother figure. I would hate it if he was hiding things from me. He’ll be too.

            “I promise.”

            “And do you promise to keep your allegiance with the Order and not the Dark Lord?” He asks.

            I look up in surprise. Dumbledore grabs my hand tightly so I don’t jerk it away. I can’t promise that! That’s setting up a failure. I’m too weak to battle against Voldemort. He’ll take control and I’ll be doomed. Snape takes few steps towards us.

            “Alastor, you know she can’t control the power the Dark Lord is sending her. She’s just a child that will never be able to compete against You Know Who. You’re pushing her into ambush.” He says.

            “Severus. I need to trust that she’ll do everything in her might to fight back. She might be young but she is a strong witch. Promising to refute his advances will make her grow. You are supposed to take care of her and I trust you in this task.” Dumbledore explains.

            I trust Snape as well. Even if he continues to complain, I cut him off.

            “I promise.”

            Moody’s wand lowers and the vow marks the back of my hand. There’s no turning back. I must believe in my will to fight against the evil within me. Everyone does the same. Ron and Hermione seem to be as bothered as I am. They are close friends. It’ll be hard to keep this away especially to Harry. Sirius and Remus agree without much trouble. It’s finally time for us to leave. Fred promises me he’ll bring me back home.

            “I hope my father doesn’t worry too much. I haven’t given him any news of what happened ever since the last task.” I tell Fred.

            He doesn’t answer. He would usually tell me that everything is alright and that I shouldn’t worry. I wished for a long time that he could stop and simply tell me the truth but now that the words don’t come out, I would rather hear a lie.

            “Fred?” I ask as I stop him in the middle of the hallway.

            He looks down and pinches the bridge of his nose.

            “Fred!”

            I’m not asking for an answer anymore, I’m demanding one.

            “I’m so sorry Analeigh.” He cries out silently. “I couldn’t do anything. Death Eaters destroyed your house. Your father is dead.”

            Every bit of what I have left of my own soul cracks and shatters inside of me. Such anger comes to me. I have rarely felt something like this. Even when I faced my mother’s assassin, I didn’t feel as angry and destroyed as I do at this very moment. He’s with my mother now. The question is: who will be with me then?