Chapter 10

The next day I'm up early and dressed as I wait for Dwayne to come. He said he would and I really hope he does because I want to see him again so badly. I hang around outside and just end up laying on the grass in the front yard enjoying the sun. I feel happy so I'm laying there with my hands behind my head and a smile on my face when I hear tapping on the gate.

"You look happy." I hear Dwayne tease as he leans on the gate. I open my eyes and look only to see he has a amused look on his face along with a big smile. "Is it because you knew I was coming to see you again?"

"Maybe..." I reply while blushing and smiling a bit. This made him smile even more as he looks at me.

"You gonna open the gate or do I have to hop it again?" He asks as he stands up straight.

"I'll open it but I'd like to see you hop it." I admit as I stand up. I watch as he hops the gate easily and lands on the grass with a smug look on his face. "How'd you do that and make it look so easy?" I ask with amazement.

"Skills." He shrugs but is also smiling. "Remember I'm fresh out of juvie and I was arrested for many things. I was always on the run so I have lots of experience hopping fences."

"I never thought of that." I reply and sit on the grass as he sits beside me. "You don't seem like a bad guy though."

"Just because I've been arrested doesn't mean I'm a bad guy." He says with a small laugh. "I did what I had to do to live otherwise I wouldn't of done it."

"I guess that makes sense." I whisper softly and look at him only to find myself lost in his eyes again.

"Krystal! Get inside so I can hear what you guys are talking about!" My grandma shouts loudly.

"Overprotective isn't she?" Dwayne asks with annoyance as he looks at the door.

"You have no idea." I grumble as I stand up and walk to the front door with him close behind.

"Living room." She orders in a firm tone and gives us a mean look.

"Fine." I reply with annoyance and frustration as we squeeze past her and sit in the living room. "So tell me more about yourself." I smile as I sit beside him.

"Well I'm 18 like I said yesterday and I just got out of juvenile hall a few days ago. Since I got out I've been staying with Mike." He says then leans over and whispers in my ear "I need to talk to you about him." I nod and blush a bit at how close he was which made him smile slightly.

"Mike said he's known you since you guys were kids."

"Yeah. We met in school but I was always being sent from home to home. He stayed at the same house so whenever I got the chance I'd come see him. I have no where to stay so I've been with him the last few days." He explains and gives me a serious look.

"Why don't you have anywhere to stay? What about your parents?" I ask with confusion in my voice since I'm not used to topics like this.

"My mom lives far away, my dad is close but we don't get along very well and honestly..." He starts as he turns and looks me in the eyes. "I want to stay here where I am." He says in a soft voice and touches my hand gently. This made me blush and him smile.

"Well...I ummm..." I stammer as I try to find my words. "Where are you going to stay?"

"With Mike I guess." He sighs.

"What's your name again?" My grandma suddenly shouts.

"It's Dwayne ma'am." He replies nicely but his face says he's annoyed by her already.

"Are you willing to work to earn your keep?" She asks in a serious tone causing me and him to look at each other with shock.

"Yes of course." He replies