CHAPTER - 40

Soldiers gasped through the chilly wind. There was no sign of any living creatures. There was only loud footsteps of the horses as their feet collided the omnipresent snow.

The wide-awake soldiers were marching south, very far away from the royal castle - to the south. Stern faces, big-wide shoulders and straight body postures, those soldiers were more than ready to defend their nation. However, with every footstep, their hearts were drowning in pain.

Survival chances were low. Who would expect to live? War was expected. War was foreseen. It means, every footstep took them closer to death.

Patriotic though it was, everyone would prefer a life with a family, roof and warm meals. These soldiers were loyal and rigid. But they were cuffed with their fate too. A poor man can do no better than kneel to his needs, to his family's needs.

"I would prefer if you would walk behind the soldiers" Lucas spoke in his morning, husky voice.

"But your queen wouldn't." I replied without turning toward him.

I could hear him sigh right next to me. If I insist, I could trace him from the corner of my eyes. But I resisted. No more emotional morning, I said to myself.

"Ouch!" Someone sprung on my left side. Given that Lucas was on my right, I expected none other than the mysterious person that I met on the Campfire.

"Lucas, brother. You sound so desperate." He laughed as he bent his body to look at Lucas. I naturally, furrowed my brows as I looked at the guy. I didn't understand what his problem was. He was acting like some kind of bully.

"If you have a problem Sir, .." I said as I looked at his face. But I paused in halfway. His weirdly dark features felt familiar.

  Wait,..I thought to myself, I have met this guy before.

"Yes," he turned to me and widen his eyes.

Those eyes.. I thought, "You are the guy from that night.

I gawked at him as I reminisced the past- the time I met him. How could I forget? This mysteriously person who tried to abduct me; this scary person who claimed me with Erwin. 

"Who are you?" I asked in astounded tone. 

"Me?" He smiled and turned away from me. He kept on smiling as we rode past few moments. 

"I am who you want me to be. Just anybody,.." He murmured and moved ahead of me. 

I shook my head in disbelief. This was the same person who tried to abduct me. But this was also the same person, whom the soldiers respected. 

"This mysterious person.."I rested my thoughts on that. What good I get from knowing who he is? After all, my death is inevitable. 

The Same Evening

"Sire, I have come to deliver some bad news." A messenger huffed as he came riding toward us. He looked pale and tired. His body was covered with sweat and torn rag.

"The enemy is very close to us." He calmed down his tone and got off the horse. 

He took a long breathed and continued, "Considering how fast we are advancing and how far the enemy has invaded, we expect to face the enemy the first thing in the morning."

"I am afraid, its better to stay alert." He sighed, "by which I mean, I don't think it is a great idea to let the soldiers sleep."

I could hear Lucas's impatience through his unrhythmic breathe. I could also hear the footsteps as he rode toward the messenger. 

"My soldiers' need to rest. I cannot let them fight in fatigue." He said as he got off the horse. 

He patted the messenger's back as he continued, "I can feel your fear. But a war is won when the soldiers don't wore." 

As he finished his words, he gestured his few best men to flow the words. The soldiers were camping right where we stood. Lucas wanted no tired souls. In other word, he was preparing to become the victor. 

That night was cold and long. Long enough that I could relive it  for my life time, through the memories