The Crank Palace

"Where's this Crank Palace?" Minho asked. "We passed over it on the way here. It's just on the far side of this valley, right up against the mountains to the west." Jorge answered. Minho clapped his hands once. "Then that's where we're going. Jorge, get this piece of klunk up in the sky." He said. Jorge acted without hesitation. "I'll be glad for a little adventure, muchacho." He said as he walked to the cockpit. "We'll be there in twenty minutes!" He said. I sat down as he had the cargo door close. Brenda joined him in the cockpit as we were lifting off. I looked across from me at Thomas and Minho. Smiles strentching along their faces. I began to feel like we were a team. We are. We are the Gladers. And we are the resistance. I stared across at my brother warriors. The ones who would never give up the fight with me and always watch my back as I watch theirs. I was sure they felt the same way. Or they were thinking I'd be the bait to get inside since I'm more prone to acting like I've got The Flare than anyone on this plane. We arrived and landed then the cargo door opened. We all walked out. "So we're just gonna walk in?" I asked. "That's the plan." Minho said. Two guards came up to the gateway of the palace with launchers. "This isn't going to be good." Thomas said. We kept walking, getting closer. "Just give me the word." I told them. We walked up and the guards said we didn't look like men in suits bringing in a Crank.

Jorge said we were looking for a friend who got taken in by accident. The guard said he needs to see some cash. "He's got it all. Greedy slinthead." Minho said, pointing his thumb back at Jorge. Jorge showed the card and said we wanted to see Newt first. Then he'd get paid. They opened the door and were leading us through. "Okay, but if you lose a limb I suggest you leave behind said limb and run like hell. Unless it's a leg." One of the guards said. I found myself wishing I had some weapons. We were being lead through a town. Or a village more like. The windows were smashed and everything was filthy. They said bringing in glass was a bad idea. And that it's the number one source of weapon around here. I walked over towards a house. "What are you doing?!" Thomas whispered a bit loudly. No one was in sight. I bent down and picked up a glass shard and went walking back. "No!" Minho whispered loudly. "Toss that back right now." He said with clenched teeth. I stood still, holding it in my hand. I looked at Brenda and she was frightened. I now had something I could turn and stab her with. I looked at Thomas and Minho who were giving me a look of discontent. I tossed it back onto the dirty ground and joined the group again. "What's wrong with you?" Minho asked and looked at my hand to see no cuts as we walked on. "You could've cut yourself." He said. "I'm fine." I said. We kept walking ahead. "NEWT!!" I cried out. Thomas and Minho both covered my mouth and we kept moving forward. "Relax, any that are indoors are on The Bliss. Most are in the Central Zone, eating or playing or up to no good." One of the guards said. Thomas and Minho uncovered my mouth. They carried on a conversation with us about most Munies dissapearing. I knew it was one of WICKED's plans. "Just keep us away from the crowds and put us somewhere safe until you find Newt." Thomas said. "That's more like it." Minho said. The guard shrugged. "Okay. As long as I get my money." He said.

The guards stepped closer and we hid in a shaded area by a shack. The guards went in further through another gateway. As we were waiting I was standing as the others sat down. There was a sound of commotion inside the area. I looked swiftly to my left and had my arms crossed. A couple were walking towards us holding hands. "When did you get here?" They asked us. "We came here just a few minutes ago. We're looking for our friend, Newt." Brenda said. I lifted my head looking down at her. Newt is NOT her friend. She acted shy. "Tall, blonde, has a limp. Have you seen him?" Thomas asked. I looked back to the couple. "A lot of 'em in here are blonde. And what kind of a name is Newt?" The man asked. "I'll..." Was all I could get out when a suddenly louder commotion started. The couple ran back to a house and went inside and locked the door. They boarded up their window and a piece of glass fell from it. I went running to their window and slid by underneath and grabbed the glass shard then ran back. Breathing heavily I was standing by the group again but the commotion drew quieter. "Put...that....down." Minho ordered. I looked to him. His eyes shifted away at the ground then back to me. I huffed and tossed it away. Crossing my arms again Minho asked "Where are those guards?" I looked to see the guards came back around a corner. They looked more shifty than before. "What'd you find out?" Minho asked as he rose to his feet. "Took some asking around, but I think we found your guy." One of them said. I gave them a nod and was walking towards them. "Hey hey! Whoa! You're not going in there." One of them said and held his hand out to stop me. I stopped but I clenched fists. Minho jogged up to behind me. "He told us to tell you guys to get lost." The guard said. "He didn't mean it." I said with a slight lift of my chin. "Show us where he is." Minho said. Thomas joined us. And Jorge and Brenda."Did you hear what I just said?" The guard said. I grabbed his fingers and elbow and twisted his arm and yanked his finger backwards. He collapsed to one knee. "Your job's not done." Thomas said. "We found your friend, just like you asked, now give us our money!" The other guard pleaded. "Does it look like we're with him yet?" Jorge said. "No one makes a dollar until you get us all together." He added. "You're insane." The guard I held said. I turned his arm a bit more and he let out a shriek. "If you want that money, let's go!" Minho barked. I felt Minho tap my shoulder once and I let go of the guard. "Fine." The guard said. His partner sighed. "Follow us." He said. They turned and headed back where they came from. We followed them in.