Chapter Eleven: The Second Task

Geez, we're already at eleven?

Enjoy anyway!

With the second task approaching quickly, the four couldn't help but notice the increasing frenzy that Harry, Ron, and Hermione with in, searching for ways that Harry could survive the second task.

Merida informed Rapunzel as soon as possible about the research they were doing, as she knew the brunette (whose hair was now ragged and uneven again) would love to help. "Something about how to survive underwater," Merida told her.

"Hmm," said Rapunzel, frowning, "I'll have to help them look for something. How long?"

Merida thought for a moment. "I think they said an hour or more."

Rapunzel whistled -- or tried to. "That sounds difficult."

"Apparently it has to be done, so they need your help."

"What have they found?"

"As far as I can tell, absolutely nothing."

And that's how Rapunzel joined in the frantic searching.

For weeks, the four could be found in the library whenever they had a free period or spare time. And for weeks, they found nothing.

Finally the eve of the second task arrived. Merida stayed up late that night, watching the three Gryffindors read. Ron and Hermione had been taken away by Professor Dumbledore, but Harry stayed up, slipped on the Invisibility Cloak, and ducked from the dormitory. Rapunzel managed to get there, as well, and they searched for a long time. Harry eventually fell asleep. Rapunzel, dedicated as she was, stayed awake all night long. The sun was peeking gently over the horizon when she put down a book, stroked her hair, and thought. She was so tired... so very tired... maybe she could fall asleep there with Harry. But no... she had to find this for him... something to survive underwater for an hour? She may have heard of such a thing... but she hadn't found a trace of it... and then she remembered.

She stood up so fast that she was surprised Harry didn't jerk awake. Of course -- gillyweed! She'd borrowed a book of Neville's on plants a long time ago, before she began helping Harry. Gillyweed was a plant that, if eaten, would allow a person to survive underwater. However gross she knew Harry would find the prospect, it was their only choice. Her now wide-awake brain realized that gillyweed, if anywhere, would only be in Professor Snape's private stores. She thought desperately about anywhere else it might have been, but she came up empty. She had to steal it. It wasn't hard -- Snape wasn't there. She ducked inside, grabbed a bit of it, and left. It was very nearly time for the task. She shook Harry awake once she reached the library.

"Harry -- Harry!"

"Ugh -- get off me --"

"Harry, you need to get up!"

"Stop shaking me --"

"Harry, I have to shake you to wake you up!" Rapunzel said, practically yelling.

Harry opened his eyes. Rapunzel continued in a rush. "Harry, I found the solution. Gillyweed. You have to eat it, but it'll help you survive. You have ten minutes, Harry."

"Ten minutes? Ten -- ten MINUTES?!"

"Yes, Harry -- hurry up!"

And then a weight dropped into her stomach. "Harry -- you haven't seen Ron or Hermione since last night?"

"No."

"And the rhyme said 'We've taken what you'll sorely miss'?"

"Ye -- oh, no..."

"Harry, they've taken Ron!!"

And ten minutes later, Harry skidded into line.

"Well, all our champions are ready for the second task," said Ludo Bagman, "which will start on my whitel. They have precisely an hour to recover what has been taken from them. On the count of three, then. One... two... three!"

Fleur and Cedric performed Bubble-Head Charms on themselves, which were advanced charms that literally created a bubble around a person's head. Krum dove straight into the water, and Rapunzel assumed he perfomed his bit of magic underwater. Harry waded into the water and shoved the gillyweed into his mouth. A few seconds later, he gasped and his hand flew to his neck -- the gillyweed had worked. He dove into the water.

Rapunzel immediately withdrew a book from her robes. The time limit was an hour, and given the requirements for the task, it was going to take a long time. She was correct. Thirty minutes later, Fleur surfaced, but without the thing that had been taken from her, which Rapunzel assumed was person close to her. A bit over a half hour after that, Cedric surfaced holding Cho Chang, then Krum with Hermione. Both hostages awoke as soon as their head broke the surface. Then, Harry came up with both Ron and a girl who looked remarkably like Fleur; probably her sister. With them, several merpeople poked their heads above the water. The three swam to the shore, where Madam Pomfrey tended to them and Fleur hysterically hugged her sister. Ludo Bagman prepared to announce the scores.

"Ladies, and gentlemen, we have reached out decision. Merchieftainess Murcus has told us exactly what happened at the bottom of the lake, and we have therefore decided to award marks out of fifty for each of the champions, as follows...

"Fleur Delacour, though she demonstrated excellent use of the Bubble-Head Charm, was attacked by grindylows --" (water demons) "-- as she approached he goal, and failed to retrieve her hostage. We award her twenty-five points."

There was applause.

"Cedric Diggory, whgo also used the Bubble-Head Charm, was first to return with his hostage, though he returned one minute outside the time limit of an hour." The Hufflepuffs exploded. "We therefore award him forty-seven points.

"Viktor Krum used an incomplete form of Transfiguation, which was nevertheless effective, and was second to return with his hostage. We award him forty points.

"Harry Potter used gillyweed to great effect. He returned last, and well outside the time limit of an hour. However, the Merchieftainess informs us that Mr. Potter was first to reach the hostages, and that the delay in his return was due to his determination to return all hostages to safely, not merely his own. Most of the judges --" Bagman threw a very dirty look at Professor Karkaroff "-- feel this shows moral fiber and merits full marks. However... Mr. Potter's score is forty-five points."

Everyone, especially the four, clapped extremely hard. Harry was now tied for first place with Cedric!

"The third and final task will take place at dusk on the twenty-fourth of June," said Bagman. "The champions with be notified of what is coming precisely one month beforehand. Thank you for all your support of the champions!"

That was longer than I expected.

Whatever.

So, the next chapter will be short (I think). It'll be the start of the third task. After that, it'll be the moment everyone's been waiting for!! The reveal of secrets!! :D :D

Bye!