Chapter Nineteen: Remember Cedric

Sorry it's taken so long :/ but here it is.

Only two, possibly three more chapters left! :D

And I'll try to do Merida's accent more often, fyi.

Enjoy!

None of the four had very good memories of the next few days. The day after the confrontation with Fudge, the Diggorys stopped by to talk to Harry and Merida. Merida heard them talk nearby, with Harry, and when they came over to her, they were looking at her back. Mr. Diggory sobbed through most of the meetings. Mrs. Diggory seemed quite calm, although Merida could practically hear the grief rattling around inside her.

Mrs. Diggory laid her hand on her shoulder and thanked her for helping return Cedric to them. Merida closed her eyes and said, "I'm sorry I couldn' keep 'im alive."

Mrs. Diggory blinked rapidly for the first time. "It's -- it's okay," she whispered. "He -- he died just after he won the tournament. He must have been happy."

It was the same thing she had said to Harry, but having it said directly to her made Merida feel slightly better. A tear leaked from her eye. "He was always nice to me. Some o' the others mocked me fer my accent, but he never said a word. An' when he did, it was always 'bout how he wished he could do it."

Mr. Diggory let out a fresh howl. Mrs. Diggory's voice was choked when she spoke. "I -- I'm sorry you had to be there."

"I'm sorry I couldn' help," said Merida, and both broke down. The Diggorys left soon after.

Merida and Harry returned to the Gryffindor common room the next afternoon. Harry, Ron, and Hermione spoke about other things, but Merida only talked when asked a direct question and she never listened (although she did learn that Hiccup had made the announcement about Toothless the previous day). She only ate when Hiccup, Jack, or Rapunzel forced her to. And she only began to really hear when Dumbledore began to speak.

"The end," he said solemnly, "of another year."

He looked toward the Hufflepuff table. Hiccup, despite never knowing Cedric personally and never supporting him over Harry, still bowed his head in grief to match the other Hufflepuffs.

"There is much that I would like to say to you all tonight," said Dumbledore, "but I must first acknowledge the lost of a very fine person, who should be sitting here --" he nodded toward the Hufflepuff table "-- enjoying our feast with us. I would like you all, please, to stand, raise your glasses, to Cedric Diggory."

Everyone in the Great Hall stood and raised their glasses, even the Slytherins. They all repeated Cedric's name.

"Cedirc was a person who exemplified many of the qualities that distinguish Hufflepuff house," continued Dumbledore. "He was a good and loyal friend, a hard worker, he valued fair play. His death has affected you all, whether you knew him or not. I think you have the right, therefore, to know exactly how it came about.

"Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort."

Naturally, this sent a wave of panicked whispering across the tables. Everyone was staring at Dumbledore in horror.

"The Ministry of Magic does not wish me to tell you this. It is possible that some of your parents will be horrified that I have done so -- either because they will not believe that Lord Voldemort has returned, or because they think I should not tell you so, young as you are. It is my belief, however, that the truth is generally preferred to lies, and that any attempt to pretend that Cedric died as the result of an accident, or some sort of blunder of his own, is an insult to his memory.

"There are others who should be mentioned in connection with Cedric's death," said Dumbledore. "I am talking, of course, of Harry Potter and Merida DunBroch."

A few people turned to look at the two, but they turned back to Dumbledore.

"These two managed to escape Lord Voldemort. They risked their own lives to return Cedric's body to Hogwarts. They showed, in every respect, the sort of bravery that few wizards have ever shown in facing Lord Voldemort, and for this, I honor them."

Nearly everyone in the Hall raised their goblets to the two Gryffindors, although the Slytherins neither touched their goblets nor did they stand.

"The Triwizard Tournament's aim was to further and promote magical understanding. In the light of what has happened -- of Lord Voldemort's return -- such ties are more important than ever before.

"Every guest in this hall will be welcomed back here at any time, should they wish to come. I say to you all, once again -- in the light of Lord Voldemort's return, we are only as strong as we are united, and as weak as we are divided. Lord Voldemort's gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally strong bond of friendship and trust. Differences in habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.

"It is my belief -- and never have I so hoped that I am mistaken -- that we are all facing dark and difficult times. Some of you in this Hall have already suffered directly at the hands of Lord Voldemort. Many of your families have been torn asunder. A week ago, a student was taken from our midst.

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."

Yep, that's it. Ah, well. I'm tired. Gimme a break.

Happy Halloween, btw!

Bye!