Chapter Twenty: Goodbye for the Summer

I'm so sorry! There would have been a chapter BEFORE goodbyes (probably) but the end of my Goblet of Fire is practically torn to shreds :'( and I lost the end. I will keep searching and if I find it, I will change this into two.

Enjoy anyway!

The end of the year came too quickly for Hiccup, Jack, and Rapunzel, but far too slowly for Merida. She wished desperately it would come faster, that she could go home and cry unashamedly into her mother's shoulder. Neither of them would mind anymore since they had made up over the summer. The others hoped it would come slowly, so that they could wrap their minds around everything. Of course they believed Merida and Harry, believed every word they said. But was it hard to believe? Very.

But the end of the year came, and in full force. Hiccup packed away everything of his with a bit of relief. Maybe at home, lost in the world of his village, he could forget about Voldemort. He wondered what it would be like when he returned. He had received few letters over the school year. Had the Outcasts, another Viking tribe, attacked again? Perhaps the Berserkers (another) had found about Hiccup's ability to train dragons? The letters he had gotten were from his non-wizard friend, Fishlegs, and also from his father. Stoick's letters had provided information on the village's state, and it was always good. Fishlegs asked for help controlling Snotlout and the twins, who were both stupid and uncontrollable. He smiled at the thought of Fishlegs trying to contain them without Astrid's help.

Jack gathered his scant belongings into a small bag. As Jack Frost, he didn't have a real home. He wouldn't be in touch with his friends, either, because he would be on the other side of the world administering winter to the cities. It made him sad just thinking about it. Maybe he could convince an owl to carry a letter to them.

Rapunzel was actually looking forward to going home. With her mother and the burden of her hair gone, she could enjoy the days at home with Eugene and her parents without worrying about anything. She grinned at Pascal. "It's gonna be a good summer," she said happily.

The four met in the Hogwarts Express. Harry, Ron, and Hermione were to be in a different carriage. Toothless was to fly to the village. Hiccup had discovered how to create a tail that the dragon could control, and that was how he had made it to Hogwarts in the first place. Rapunzel kept Pascal in her robes. Merida kept staring out the window, and the others were reminded of Hiccup when they were riding to the castle at the beginning of the year. The boys sat on one side and the girls on the others, so that Jack's cold powers would only reach the one person who knew about them.

"Are you okay?" asked Rapunzel softly, laying a hand on Merida's shoulder.

" 'Course I'm not," Merida grumbled.

"None of us are," Hiccup agreed.

"I just want ta be home," sighed Merida.

"We all do," said Hiccup.

"Stop agreein' with me!"

"Busted," Jack whispered. The boys lapsed into quiet laughter.

"My mum's probably worried sick," said Merida.

"My dad, too, and I'm not just saying that to agree with you," said Hiccup. "If he knew what happened, he'd be frantic."

"I doubt my parents know," said Rapunzel.

Jack didn't say anything. This was Rapunzel's second clue that he was hiding something.

"So, Hiccup, you never did explain what happened to you," she said.

"You guys already know."

"Your story might be different."

Hiccup sighed. "Fine. The other Vikings always hated me, they always thought I was useless because I couldn't kill a dragon. Every time I tried, I basically destroyed the village. But one day I shot down a Night Fury -- Toothless -- but no one believed me. I went into the woods to find him, but I couldn't kill him, so I set him free. Then my dad says that I was put into dragon training. At first, I was horrible, I was almost killed. But then I found Toothless and I slowly became friends with him. I learned how to subdue dragons without killing them. I used that in the arena and I got a lot better and a lot more famous. Then I was picked to kill a dragon. Obviously I couldn't do it. Astrid followed me to where I kept Toothless and found out, but when I took her on a flight she liked him."

"How'd she agree to tha'?" asked Merida.

"She didn't."

Everyone laughed.

"Anyway, since I couldn't kill the dragon, I tried to train it, but my dad provoked it. Next thing I know it's trying to kill me. Then Toothless showed up and fought it. But my dad captured him and actually disowned me --"

Rapunzel gasped.

"-- but then Astrid showed up. I trained the other dragons for the others and we flew off to the dragon's nest to help Dad. I saved Toothless and we fought the Red Death, you know, that huge dragon. But its tail hit us, and that's how I lost my leg."

There were no words said after Hiccup finished. They sat in silence until they arrived, which wasn't long. Hiccup jumped off the train to find everyone waiting for him. Jack waved goodbye to everyone, found a secluded corner, and flew off. Merida met her mother with a hug and burst into tears. Rapunzel also embraced her mother but avoided crying. The three left together (Hiccup avoided all questions about Jack), then the Vikings walked to the nearest port (none could drive) and the royal families walked to the street to find a taxi. It obviously couldn't take them all the way, but they all had systems to get them home. And they all reached their destinations safely. Jack wandered aimlessly. Hiccup and his friends rode on their ship. The princesses and their families came to their castles.

And as Rapunzel had predicted, it was a good summer...

...for everyone.

Tada! That's it!

It was hard coming up with a way for everyone to get home, geez. But I did it. Probably lame, but whateves.

I hope everyone enjoyed this story as much as I enjoyed writing it! THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO READ, VOTED AND COMMENTED!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE GOT TO SEND OUT A HUGE THANKS TO:

ToothlessLover777 ~ My first reader and commenter :D

storynovelistof2014 ~ Your comments made me laugh :)

and finally:

Httyd4ever222 ~ You're comments were always so excited that they spurred me on (;

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THOUGH!!!!!

And again, THANKS!!!!!

Goodbye, from Jack, Hiccup, Merida, Rapunzel, Astrid, Eugene, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and me!!

Bye!