Chapter 7

The next morning, I wanted to wash all the dirt and sweat off before we did it all again. It was early in the morning, the sun was just peeking above the trees, it shone a warm orange but none of its heat had warmed up the air yet. The breeze still bit me as I made my way behind the house to the stream. The water was flowing as it always does. The reeds and grasses gently bent in the wind and rustled against each other. The river separated Hagen's home from the forest. Tall spruce trees climbed to heights in the sky. For a moment I stared into the shadows of the trees, I thought of home and chasing my brothers through our own woods.

I took off my men's clothes, the trousers Hilda had lent me and an old shirt. I folded them neatly by the river bank and waded into the water. My muscles were still stiff and I had many tender bruises on my body but I focused on the cold water that was waist height

I examined the many injuries on my body, a big purple streak up my left arm, both knees grazed, both of my hands covered in new blisters and old callouses. I cupped the water in my hands and washed it over the dirt. My hands roamed over my new body. I felt the change in my arms, they had filled out and had a tension to them. My legs were stronger, my waist was fuller.

I heard footsteps behind me, coming from inside the house, it meant Hagen was by the window. The thought of his presence made my heart race and filled me with a dangerous confidence. I did not hide my body. The cool water did nothing to calm the heat of Hagen's eyes on my naked body. I imagined him stood behind me analysing every part of me, every blemish every scar. I wasn't the same weak girl that had been dragged across the sea, I was stronger now. And he knew that.

I continued to wash the dirt and sweat off my body. I scraped away the dirt under my nails. I only turned to dress when I heard him walk away from the window.

I walked in to find Hagen sitting at his table facing me. His eyes followed me as I walked across the room. He played with his food and slouched in his chair.

"Eat. We are training again today."

I nodded and picked up a half-eaten apple.

"You'll need more."

"You don't have more," I said and gestured to the empty table. Hagen sighed and joined me. It was true, the table had a small chunk of bread, two cups of stale ale and pot with the remanence of some sort of stew.

"You need a woman," I said flatly.

"I have you."

"No, you don't."

Hagen's face snapped to mine. My eyes darted around his face. Had I pushed it too far? His eyes remained on mine until his face broke into a smile and his body relaxed into a chuckle.

"You can eat in the Hall. They will have food left," Hagen said as he turned to return to his breakfast.

That day we trained just as hard as the day before. All of the village men and the warriors, crammed into that bastard of a shield wall, sweating our guts out. Each count, we heaved until we had become better than the day before.

"We need to move as one," Hagen explained when he saw our pale faces. But at that point, we were just bodies following orders, too exhausted to think outside of instructions.

Greta, the girl who left Hagen's home on my arrival, was on the field along with other village women. They carried skins filled with fresh water from the river. The liquid was heavenly and each time the skin was raised to my lips I found myself having to stop myself praising The Lord. Tired heathens would not look kindly on a Christian God. When Greta quenched our thirst, Sven was always a little too thankful, but Greta seemed equally familiar. I caught him smiling to himself when she left to fill the skins. And when he caught me smirking at him, his scared face dropped and he nudged me in the side, muttering something about concentrating or else be struck by his spear.