Chapter 11

The next day was busy. Everyone was packing things onto horses, trying to strap as many things into their belts as possible. Even Frida, the woman who dressed me at the ceremony, was getting prepared for the journey.

"Find a horse." Hagen said as I approached him by the main hall. I found the horse that had transported me here three months ago. He was a grey ashy colour with darker spots on his body, I had a strange sense of friendship with the animal. I decided to call him ghost.

I packed my things on Ghost and rode to the main gates where everyone was gathered, and positioned myself next to Hagen. I looked back on the Torvik. A place that had fought me, taught me and broken me in so many ways. I left the gates a completely different woman to when they had welcomed me, months ago.

The tall dark wood stood over me, I saw it then as protective rather than intimidating. Familiar faces lined the top of the wall and even a few smiles where exchanged. You would not recognise the woman I was now. I was stronger, fitter and wiser. I was not covered in dirt or sea salt and my hair was braided out of my face, rather than matted. I had an axe strapped to my back and a shield by my side. I did not wear chains, instead leather bands. I was no longer captured; I was a shield maiden.

The plan was to ride the track to Kolding but make camp half way as to not travel at night, and allow the younger to rest. We would meet Earl Leofric a days ride out of Helgafell and continue on together. We would arrive in Kolding in two days and stay to collect ourselves.

The path to Kolding I had ridden before as a captured Saxon. It had been hot summer then, the road had been beaten and dusty, but now is was muddy and slippery. The rain on the last few days had made the frequently taken road a mess of sludge. It coated everything below your shins. The carts would often get stuck and the horses tired easily. It was a long journey but infinitely better than my past experience with it.

When we made camp for the night the men from Helgafell joined us. A hundred men came into the camp, looking as exhausted and as dirty as we did. They melted into the camp, finding friends and cups of ale to rest with.

The Earl of Helgafell joined us quickly. He bore a wide smile but his eyes showed his fatigue.

"Earl Hagen! Earl Arne! Brothers! It is great to meet again!" The men embraced each other.

"Let me eat with you, the road has exhausted me! So many times, did we have to dig out wheels." The man was Earl Leofric. I recognised him from the first days of my capture. He did not acknowledge me then and he did not acknowledge me now. He sat down and helped himself to the stew that was warming.

"You remember Aeleva." Hagen said to the Earl.

"The Saxon girl?" Leofric turned to look at me. "You are the Saxon girl?" He said in rough English.

"Yes I am." I replied in Danish. If nothing but to show off.

He was taken aback by my Danish tongue. "Well.... haven't you changed." He said and laughed to himself. "Not bad." I felt somewhat offended by his comment. I had changed immensely, who was he to know.

The men talked of plans and harvest and women for the rest of the evening. I didn't contribute much but learned a great deal of what is expected. Hagen's brother was called Dyri and had recruited men from the mountains and from smaller settlements outside of Ribe. But the men only estimated 400 men. And we would have 700 with Kolding, so they were optimistic. However, Ribe was built to defend and so tactics were needed to get in the gate. Possible other entrances were discussed and it was decided that a water entrance would be used and that a small group would enter and open the gates. To me, it sounds ludicrous. How would you possibly be able to open the gates with the whole army locked in with you?