Chapter 15

Raya kept looking at the clock on the wall above the dining room table, across from the counter she still leaned on. She was growing tired of feigning interest in her friend's drama. And was getting worried about Shane. It was nearly six o'clock, and she still hadn't even received a text from him.

     "Ray?" Mavis waved her hand to get Raya's attention. "What is up with you today? I just called your name like a million times."

     Raya sighed. She shook her head in frustration. "Shane was supposed to have dinner with me tonight, and I still haven't heard from him."

     "Fuck him. He's probably like any other man. I'm already here, we can have a romantic dinner together."

     Raya shook her head. "No. It isn't like him to just ghost me like this. Something's gotta be up."

     Mavis shrugged. "Well, let's go to his house and check on him. Maybe he's secretly married, and as big an ass hole as every other man in the world. Like I just said."

     Again Raya just shook her head. Of course Mavis wouldn't understand. Not after all the male bashing she'd been doing nearly the entire time she'd been there. "No," she said. She pulled out her phone from her pocket. "I'm gonna text him and see where he is. Maybe he got held up at work or something."

     "It's probably 'or something'." Mavis stood up and walked around the bar to peek into the fridge and see what she could snack on. "But, if he doesn't respond in five minutes, we are going to cancel dinner, and go out together instead. And that's final."

     Raya was sure Shane wouldn't ignore her, so as she typed out a you on your way? Raya agreed to Mavis's stipulations.

... 

     They drove, in any direction that was not the way to Raya, as Shane tried to figure out how to get rid of Demetri.

     His phone chimed at five forty-eight. He glanced down to see the screen light up. There was a message from Sugar.

     You on your way? it read.

     Shane itched to answer the text. He itched to give her any excuse. To tell her to just forget about him tonight. That he wasn't feeling up for company.

     "Sugar?" Demetri smirked. "Is she worth it?" Shane knew that his maker meant is she worth his wrath. Is she worth taking the chance of going up against Demetri.

     "Yes." Shane didn't hesitate. Raya was worth it. She was worth anything that came their way. She was worth any price that was demanded.

     "Am I going to meet the lucky lady tonight?" The way Demetri said it made Shane want to empty his stomach right there, all over his steering wheel.

     Fuck no! Was what he wanted to say, instead he opted to go with something a little more diplomatic. "Maybe. I'm not sure who is going to be there. It's kind of a group thing with a bunch of people from work mostly."

     "She seems like she is pretty impatient." Being the brash vampire he was, Demetri continued. "Have you fucked her yet?"

     Shane gritted his teeth. He wasn't in the mood for this game. He also knew that Demetri was just going to keep digging. He breathed in a calming breath to try and keep his temper.

     "That's a yes. Does she taste good?" he poked. "If you've fucked her, you've had to taste her, too."

     Again Shane chose not to answer. He also tried his damndest to not snap the steering wheel under the growing pressure of his grip.