Chapter 13

Shane was aroused from yet another night of dreamless sleep. He hadn't had even one dream since his turning. He'd asked around in those early years, and it seemed that no vampires were able to dream. He should have been used to not dreaming after such a long time, but it was always a disappointment when he woke up from a night of nothingness.

     Shane was asleep, then he was immediately alert. Raya was no longer in the safety of his arms. Instead he found her balled up in a fetal position at the edge of the bed. She was making a whimpering noise in the back of her throat. It reminded him of a trapped animal. Shane reached out to her, his fingers just barely skimming her shoulder.

     As soon as he touched her she let out a cry of pain. He watched helplessly as she flung out a hand. A ball of magic flew from her palm and crashed into the closet door.

     Shane pulled her hand back in close to her body. He wrapped each of his hands around hers forcing them into fists. He pulled her close to him, pressed his mouth against her ear. "Raya, wake up," he commanded.

     Raya let out a broken sob. Shane felt her stiffen in his arms. He heard her heart skip, then fall into a semi-normal pattern. He knew she was now awake. "Raya, it was just a dream. I have you now. You're safe."

     As much as Shane missed dreaming, he was glad that he couldn't have nightmares either. Whatever it was that she was dreaming about must have been pretty rough if she resorted to using her magic.

     Shane loosened his grip on Raya's hands, allowing her to turn in the circle of his arms and bury her face in his chest. He could feel her tears soaking his chest. He could feel her begin to shake uncontrollably. Her fingers grasped hold of his t-shirt. He could hear her soft sobs muffled by his chest. Shane tightened his grip around her shoulders with one hand, the other hand gently cradled the back of her head. He lay kisses on the top of her head, and just held her patiently as she let go of what haunted her subconscious.

     Once she calmed down, and her hiccups were the only remnants of her episode, Shane asked, "Do you want to talk about it?"

     Raya took in a deep shuddering breath. She shook her head, her face still buried against his chest.

     "Okay," Shane appeased. With the words, he could feel her body go limp with relief. Such a small word, but it seemed to ease the whole world from her shoulders.

... 

     Raya was having a repeat of her nightmare. This time rather than everyone trying to go after her, they found out that Shane was a vampire.

     Standing in the middle of Darla's parking lot again, the mob was screaming at them.

     "Vampire!"

     "Demon!" 

     "Devil spawn!"

     People were equipped with garlic bulb necklaces and silver crosses. A woman was clutching a bible and reciting verses as the man next to her flicked holy water in their direction. Her hair was vivid red springs that stuck out in all directions. The man next to her crouched in on himself as if he was beaten on a regular basis.

     Raya crisscrossed her hands down by her hips and brought them up, swinging them outward until she made two large semi-circles with her arms. A glowing blue light burst forward from Raya creating a forcefield around them.

     Floating above the floor, Raya looked down at Shane. He was alabaster white. His fangs were bared for the world to see. His mouth was rimmed with blood. His eyes were a vivid garnet.