Chapter 12

Raya allowed Shane to lead her to the couch. They sat mirroring each other, both of them had one leg bent under them, and the other leg off the couch. He chose the side closer to the door. Raya didn't know if that was a coincidence or not, but it only helped her become more edgy.

     Raya knew that she was glowing, but she couldn't calm herself down. Not with her heart in her throat. Besides, Shane was the only other person in the world who knew about her and accepted her, so she wasn't all that worried over trying to hide her powers from him.

     Or maybe he didn't accept her. Not now that he had time to think on what a mutant she was. Maybe that was why he needed to 'talk' with her. Maybe he wasn't ready to date someone with weird powers that could make doors explode. Either way, this had to be bad.

     Shane was MIA for days and now he needed to talk? This had to be bad.

     Why was he taking so long to say something? Oh God, this had to be bad!

     Shane cleared his throat. He had a look on his face. One that said it's not you-. "I just want to say that you are the most unique person that I've ever met."

     Oh God, here it comes! Raya couldn't say anything around the emotions clogging her throat. She could feel tears trying to stay at bay. She prayed he just do it. Just break up with her without dragging it out. In a way she was glad that he was doing it now, unlike Jacob, who waited eons!

     Shane grasped her hands in his. He looked deep into her eyes. "And I don't mean because of your powers," he continued.

     Raya could feel confusion come over her. His eyes seemed so sincere. He didn't have that pitiful look that men got when they were about to break their partner's heart. Could she be wrong? His eyes seemed to be filled with the same awe that he had the first time he kissed her. Still, she kept quiet. Just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Maybe he was some weirdo that enjoyed breaking souls, and crushing hope?

     "Raya, I know that we've really only known each other for a few days, and I know it doesn't seem like that could possibly be near enough time, but I can't keep you out of my mind."

     Raya released a breath she had no idea that she was holding. He wasn't going to break up with her! She felt relief flood her and spill over the rims of her eyes. Shane reached out and caught one of the fat tears with his finger. He held it up. The iridescent drop had the swirling remnants of her magic within it as it hung suspended for a split second before falling.

     Raya watched the slow smile stretch across his face as he stared in awe at her. "Raya, I'm in love with you," he declared. 

     Raya giggled. She clamped her hands over her mouth. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. She couldn't believe how much she ached to hear those words from this man. 

     Shane grinned his own sappy grin as he pulled her into his arms. "Raya, I love you."

     Raya leaned into Shane's embrace, she looked up at him. "I love you, too," she said. She stretched up to press her lips against his. The kiss wasn't as deep as she wanted it to be, but it was still filled with passion. It still satisfied her craving.

     She broke the kiss and lay her head on his chest. It took a few heartbeats to realize something was amiss.

     Or rather it took the space of what should have been a few heartbeats for her to notice. A sense of dread chilled her bones. Again the magic began to intensify. This time it felt like when the animal control guys were around her. Raya lifted off of Shane's chest. She pulled away, keeping as much space as she could between them while still sitting on the couch.