Chapter 10

Once Shane left on Sunday evening, Raya had an epiphany. Surely these new powers weren't a phase. Well, if she was going to have them, she would have to figure out how to control them. No more blowing up doors because her ex was a huge douche bag.

     Every day she would start her day with a cup of coffee and a few hours of work. Next she would sit with a mirror and force her eyes to glow. She did this pretty easily, all she had to do was think of Shane, of how he touched her. How he kissed her, always leaving the taste of lemons lingering on her tongue. Once she succeeded, she would then force them to stop. By Wednesday, she was getting to the point of being able to stop them from glowing nearly as soon as she willed it so.

      In the evenings Shane would call her just after three. He would fill her in with what was going on at work. Although she didn't know any of the people, she enjoyed the second hand banter he shared with her.

     When Wednesday came around, Shane sounded different. He told her that he was coming down with something, and may not be able to even make it to work the following day. 

     Raya felt a pang of pity for him. "Oh, Shane. I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything that I can do for you?"

     "No, it really isn't all that bad, I just feel off."

     Raya wasn't ready to take no for an answer, so she insisted, "Come by and I'll make you some soup. I have a great chicken noodle recipe I can make for you."

     Shane declined her offer again and let her know that if he didn't have the energy to call tomorrow, not to worry. Of course, that was the worst thing to say. Raya was practically bursting with nerves the rest of the evening, and didn't have the concentration to continue practicing her magic.

     Thursday morning Raya was just finishing up with work when a knock at the door made her jump out of her skin. She saw a silhouette through the frosted glass that made up most of her door. Before answering, she glanced in the mirror strategically placed next to her new door. Sure enough, her eyes were a brightly swirling blue. She took in a deep breath and blinked. Raya's lips twitched in satisfaction when they became perfectly normal. Another knock brought her attention back to the mysterious visitor.

     Raya twisted the knob. 

     "Does this little guy belong to you?"

     Raya looked down at the familiar dark brown dog. He took full advantage of the open door, and rushed into the house plopping down on the couch. Again. Raya couldn't help but think that he seemed to have a smug look about him. She squinted her irritation at him before turning her attention back to Mavis, who still stood in the doorway.

     Raya pulled the door further open to allow Mavis in before answering her. "No he doesn't, thank you."

     Mavis laughed. "Oops! Well, I guess I shouldn't have been so friendly to him. With the way he was just lounging on the porch, I figured you just forgot to let him in." Raya wasn't too pleased with the way her friend seemed so flippant about the dog who was now lounging on her couch as if he belonged there.

     Raya crossed her arms. "And since when have I been an animal lover?" she pointed out.

     Mavis sat next to the dog. To his pleasure, she scratched him behind his ear. He flicked his tail sending who knows what all over her couch with each enthusiastic wag. "Awe, don't be like that," she pouted. She proceeded to use her other hand so she could scratch behind both ears at the same time. "He's such a good boy." This time she used a baby voice.

     Raya rolled her eyes. "Yeah? What about all the hair he's leaving. The last time he was up there it took way too long to get all the hairs off, and now you are encouraging him to shed all over again."