Chapter 8

Shane paced back and forth through the living room in his small one bedroom apartment. He kept replaying the moment when he witnessed Raya using her magic in his mind. Although he was able to look composed on the outside, he was inwardly terrified of what he'd gotten himself into.

     He knew that with her being so new to magic, she shouldn't have been able to create such wreckage. Her magic should have come to her gradually, only growing with continuous practice.

     There was something else that he didn't understand with her. The obsession he felt over her. Even after seeing what she did, he still wanted to be near her.

     I should have stayed.

     I should have comforted her.

     I should have- I should have-

     He raked his hands through his hair in frustration, groaning aloud.

     Maybe he should call her. It wasn't too late. He should reassure her that he wasn't scared of her-even though he really was.

     "Damn it!"

. . .

      Raya walked down the aisle of Joe's Home Improvement. There were so many options for doors. How could there be so many different sizes? Why were there so many different sizes? Raya groaned aloud. She stood in the middle of the isle, her hands crossed over her chest. Well, Raya, that'll teach you to use your powers so carelessly. She scolded herself, then looked up and down the isle again.

      "Can I help you ma'am?" Raya turned to the squeaky sound of an adolescent boy's eager voice.

     "Actually, yeah," she said. "I want to get a new door installed, but I had no idea there were so many options."

     The boy, Sam by lanyard, lit up immediately. He began prattling on about the different types, what they were used for, and all the benefits. He spoke so enthusiastically, she couldn't help but smile with how animated he was.

     Together they figured out what kind of door she needed. They worked out all the details of when to install it, and Raya left the store feeling a little relieved, and a whole lot more accomplished.

     Raya was back in her car and making her way home when her phone started to sing to her.

     She pulled it out of the cup holder and flicked a glance at the screen. There was a gorgeous woman with short spikey purple hair and makeup to match covering the whole of her screen.

     Mavis.

     A spark of excitement flashed, but was quickly extinguished by trepidation with the memory of that morning. Could she tell her friend what was going on with this new development in her life? Could she not tell her?

     The phone kept singing. Raya knew that Mavis was far to tenacious to allow her to not answer her call. She knew that if she allowed her call to ring through to voice mail, that Mavis would only call right back until Raya answered. She wasn't the just leave a message type.

     Raya finally swiped the tiny green phone icon and clicked the microphone, putting her on speaker phone. "Hello."

      "Raya! I haven't heard from you in forever! What the hell are you doing?" Her tone was accusing.

     Raya rolled her eyes. Leave it to Mavis to be so brash. " Oh, please, we spoke last week. And besides, I'm just driving home," she answered vaguely.