nine

The world felt like it was spinning around her. She howled in pain dropping to the ground holding her shin. As soon as she took off a pain shot through her leg and it was over.

"Looks like there's something wrong with Williams, get a medic out there." Devin heard one of the commentators say.

The race was already finished after all it was only 100 meters. Devin feels overly disappointed that she didn't get to finish. Tears prick in her eyes as she forces herself up off the ground. Trying to limp the rest of the way to finish the race. She felt the need to finish.

The medics had already made their way to her but she broke out of their holds continuing to limp the way.

Cade witnessed the whole thing and raced out on the track over to her, tucking his head under her arm and holding the limping girl up. If she wanted to finish then so be it.

Tears stream down her face as she finally reaches the finish line.

Her team had already rushed over to her along with the medics.

"Fuck!" She lets out a frustrated scream, she knows that any leg injury for a runner is never good. The medics force her down on a stretcher carrying her off the track and to an ambulance.

Devin sat in a hospital bed trying to hold on to her hope. She had been in the hospital for hours, she had a bone scan and a thorough physical exam done. Now she was simply waiting for a diagnosis.

"Knock knock." Devin hears a female voice say following to knocks on her room door.

"Come in." She grunts out, shifting on the bed to sit upright.

A doctor enters the room upon Devin's words with a clipboard and pen in hand.

"So the good news is the bone scan actually detected something and you can now be treated for it. Bad news is, you have a stress fracture-i heard you run track, and i know that requires vigorous training but you won't be allowed to run for at least six weeks, if you continue to run it'll delay your healing process."

Devin sat back and took in the doctors words, no running. How could she not run, running is her life. She dropped her head down into her hands.

"Hey, look on the bright side when the fracture heals you'll be able to run all you want-we'll also be putting you in a boot to protect your leg from any further damage and when the time comes i'll recommend physical therapy."

Devin's head shot up at the doctors words. A boot a freaking boot, no way, she thought.

"I'll also be prescribing you a NSAID, which will essentially help with swelling and any present pain."

The whole time the doctor spoke she had a smile on her face and Devin wasn't in the mood for smiles and giggles.

The doctor informed her that there were people waiting for her in the waiting room and she would send them back.

A total of four people crowded into her room, and she was surprised to see one of them.

"So what's the verdict? Are you going to be okay?" Coach Mazeily asks, worried for the girl.

"Stress fracture, i can't run for six weeks and they're giving me a walking boot." Devin mumbles looking off to the side highly upset.

"A stress fracture! Jesus Williams why didn't you say anything!" Mazeily barks, knowing that you build up to a stress fracture. They occur when you're already hurt and you keep pushing yourself.

"I'm fine-well i was fine, i didn't need to complain about some discomfort in my shin!" Devin yells back trying to defend herself even though she's in the wrong. She should've spoken up about it.

"Ooh Devin you just-Nevermind. Just feel better you knuckle head." Mazeily held her tongue, she really wanted to berate the girl for not telling her.

"So are you still gonna come to practice?" Cade pipes in genuinely curious.

"No Flash i'm going to stay home and mope around." She responds sarcasm laced in her voice.

"What're you guys doing here?" Devin asks now talking to her two unexpected guest.

"I just wanted to see if you were okay." Chloe responds, in reality she wanted to see what would happen if Jai and Devin were in the same room, her remembering that they left the party together. Of course she's worried about Devin but she's also interested in why Jai had been moping around as of recently.

"Thanks for the concern." A rather odd way to respond but Devin didn't exactly know what to say.

"Alright well we're going to leave you be. Feel better." Mazeily butts in pulling Devin into a hug and exiting the room.

"I'll catch you later Mr. Bolt." Cade gushes pulling the girl into a short hug as well, hoping that the nicknames lifts the girls mood.

Cade takes a step back allowing Chloe to access Devin, she's a hugger. On her part is much preferred then handshakes and waves.

"Mr. Bolt's a funny nickname, anyways see you later." Chloe laughs, pulling the girl into a strong gripped hug. Devin just sits slack not really in the mood for hugs.

Jai walks over, shy as ever. Reaching in to hug Devin as well.

"I wish you a speedy recovery." Jai mumbles into her neck, he's much closer and into the hug. Chloe doesn't fail to notice this, but she keeps her mouth closed. Devin finds herself hugging him back, his body feels right against hers, but she'll forever deny it.

Now both Cade and Chloe caught that, the way she snaked her hand around his waist and pulled him closer. Now Cade's just as curious as Chloe, Chloe could've sworn the boy was gay, or at least bi. She had been looking for a shirt she let him borrow and had mistakingly come across a bunch of panties. She didn't think twice about it and just continued to search for her shirt, after all to each their own. She wasn't in the slightest disgusted but it did come across in her mind that he might be gay and that might just be his thing.

In reality Jai isn't in the slightest gay, sure he could appreciate when a guy looked good but that was it. He never had a urge to experiment with the same sex, he just wasn't interested like that.

The two had held each other longer than anticipated and Cade had to cough to get them to break apart.

Jai takes a step back away from the hospital bed, and Devin clears her throat awkwardly.

"Well see you guys when i get out of here."