04 | just pretending

( chapter four )

( chapter four )

It's no good pretending that any relationship has a future if your record collections disagree violently or if your favorite films wouldn't even speak to each other if they met at a party. "

- Nick Hornby, High Fidelity

THE NEXT DAY, Y/N COULD STILL NOT BELIEVE that they were doing this.

Everything felt like slow motion the moment she and Tom went inside the cafeteria of the school. His hand was in her back pocket and both of them walked together.

Just like in the Sixteen Candles. Y/N thought.

People were looking at them with trays on their hands and all you had to do was smile. It was definitely working. As they got into the middle of the cafeteria, he spun her around while his hand was still in her pocket until her body faced his.

Y/N giggled at his action and Tom looked down at her, their foreheads almost touching and their body close to each other.

"What are you doing?" Y/N asked while giggling.

Tom reached out to his pocket and got the small note he wrote for Y/N and gave it to her.

"This one is for you," Tom said and Y/N could just smile and received the handwritten note. Even though they were just pretending, she could feel her stomach flutter as she received the note.

"Thank you."

Tom smiled at Y/N but he could see a glimpse of his ex-girlfriend, Camille across where they are and he saw her face stern the moment he gave the note to Y/N.

It's working.

Tom tucked a strand of hair to Y/N 's ear and whispered to it. "Good job."

Y/N looked up to him with a smile on her face.

"I'll see you in a bit, okay?" Tom said.

"Okay," Y/N answer and pecked on his cheek before walking away from the center of the cafeteria. She could see the look on people's faces but she couldn't care less about their reaction.

After all, this is all just pretend.

"Hey, Y/N!" An arm suddenly wrapped around her shoulders and Y/N jumped a little.

"Erika!"

"Why didn't you tell me that you and Holland are a thing now? How long have you been keeping this from me?" Erika asked as they went out of the cafeteria.

"You should've seen the look on my cousin's face. I could just imagine it all day and make fun of it." Erika said and Y/N slapped her arm playfully. "Hey! What's that for?"