Chapter 8: Closer

(A/N: Credit to the artist of the picture above)
(H/C): Hair Color
(E/C): Eye Color

After all the commotion that happened with my headaches, Lance and I decided to rest at the Pokémon Center for the night.

"Hey, Lance. I think we should call the rest back home. Warn them about what's to come." I suggested.

"Seems like a good idea," Lance said. He grabbed his phone and dialed Bruno into a video call.

"Ah, Lance and (F/N), how's it been in Johto right now?" Asked Bruno, who was gathered with Lorelei and Agatha.

"It's been going well. Looker, (F/N), and I have helped in the arresting of some grunts who took over the radio tower in Goldenrod City." Said Lance.

"But one of the grunts dropped what might be a clue to where and when they're striking," I said.

"Can you read what it states?" Asked Lorelei.

"The place of birth is always next door. Where Lunatone fable came." I said.

"I believe that this is referring to Celadon City and that they will be doing their next heist sometime after dusk." Said Agatha.

"We'll take care of whatever happens here in Kanto. You two should stay in Johto until the situation there gets the best it can. Best of luck to both." Said Bruno as he was ready to end the conversation.

"All of you take care over there," I said as Lance ended the call.

"Damn, I'm beat after today," I said, sitting on one of the beds that were in the room we were resting in for the night.

"Today was rough, especially for you." He said.

"And how is that?" I asked, laying down.

"You had the most intense confrontation with Team Rocket I've ever seen, and you passed out midway!" He said, looking at me in a somewhat strange way. It was like if he was staring or something. 'Do I have something on me or what?!' I panicked mentally.

"Well, we should get some sleep. I'm going to change." I said, leaving for the restroom.

I changed into my shorts and tank top. I opened the door slightly and saw Lance... shirtless. I immediately started blushing as red as a Charizard's flame. I turned the light's back on, so it would look as if I was still changing. "Arceus, am I a creep for doing this?" I whispered, meaning for it to be a thought.

"No, you're not. It's alright." I heard a familiar voice say, ending with a chuckle. 'Crap!' I thought as my blush became deeper.

I awkwardly came out of the restroom and attempted to put on a neutral face, "I swear to Arceus I'm not a perv." I said, avoiding eye contact with him.

"You're forgiven, (F/N)." He said, putting his finger on the side of my chin to make me face him, while chuckling, of course. I walked to his bed and threw his shirt at his face.

"Thanks, Dragon Boy," I said, laying my back flat on my bed. He looked at me and sighed playfully, putting on his shirt.
__________

It was about 6, maybe 7 o clock in the evening. It had been a long day of helping the citizens with what had happened the day before.

"Why did the Champions of Kanto and Johto decide to team up and help with the situation here in Johto?" Asked a news reporter.

"We thought it would be best to give back to the people, simply." Said Lance.

"Champion of Kanto (F/N), there have been rumors that you were once a member of Team Rocket. Is that true?" Asked the news reporter. 'Crap!' I thought.

"I'm very sorry, but we have some important things to take care of. Again, thank you for your cooperation with this situation!" I lied, leaving in a rush. Lance nervously followed along. What was going to happen if they figured out?! What's going to happen to my place as Champion?! Are people going to reject me for it?! I was in a total panic attack. We eventually made it away from all of the cameras, I put my back against a tree, so my breathing could slow down.

"(F/N), are you alright? I've never seen you act like this before!" He said, sitting down next to me. I sat down as well.

"Why are you worried about a traitor?" I asked, looking to my right since he was at my left.

"You might not consider me this, but you're a friend to me," He started, putting his finger next to my chin as he had done before, forcing me to face him, "And I'm concerned for my friend, even if she doesn't consider me one." He said, putting his hand to were it was originally.

"Thank you. And yes, I do as well." I said, giving a weak smile.

"So, why didn't you answer the question about the rumors that you were once a Team Rocket grunt?" He asked. I got super nervous about telling him the truth. Was it going to ruin my chances? What is he going to think of me? What are the rest at home going to think?! At last, I gathered all of the courage I needed. I took a deep breath and began.

"The reason I ran from the cameras was that..." I let out a sigh, "Was that they were correct. I used to be a Team Rocket grunt. (F/N)... is just the name that I use to hide my identity. The reason the grunt at Goldenrod City referred to me as (Y/N) is because it's my real name." I said, putting my knees to my chest, and resting my arms on them.

"Why did you do such a thing?!" Said Lance, surprised, of course.

"It's not like I had a choice. It's something that runs in the family. When Giovanni ran away after returning to the Viridian Gym, I decided it would be a less risky time to leave without the grunts caring." I said.

"I see. Please forgive me for making an assumption." He said.

"You're forgiven. I'm just... scared that, people will see me as a bad guy or something." I said. All of those memories hit me like a flamethrower. I tried my best not to get emotional. But I did end up shedding tears.

"Well, at least know that I don't and will never, even if the rest do." He reassured me while smiling. I tried to give the best smile I could. He chuckled at used his thumb to gently wipe off the tears that were on my face.

"You know, when I passed out in Goldenrod, I had a flashback to when I was about 12. It was during one of my tasks. Giovanni told me to steal a Dratini off from a kid in Blackthorn City when we were doing our stuff in Johto. I'd caught a spare Dratini because I had a feeling that the kid would be devastated by something like that. When I told him about my plan, be thanked me with his cape," I smiled nostalgically, "Heh, now that I think about it, that kid had the same red hair and cape as you do." I said, blushing a bit from the way I was being treated by Lance.

"I recall the same thing. That grunt that saved my Dragonite from Team Rocket has the same (H/R) hair and the same (E/C) as you do. That means we had met in the past." He said rather happily.

"What are the chances," I said, still shedding tears.

"You look like a hug would help you. Want it?" He said, opening his arms. I immediately went for it. My head rested on his shoulder, as he wrapped his cape around me.

"Thank you, Lance..." I said, snuggling the side of my head into his chest.

"Anytime, (Y/N)..." He said, feeling a bit weird of calling me by my real name.

"You know, you can still call me (F/N) if you'd prefer that," I said, laughing a bit.

"I think it's better to call you by your real name instead of an (F/N) that doesn't exist." He said. As silence fell once again, I could feel his heart beating quite quickly. He seemed relaxed on the outside but freaking out in the inside. 'How come he can still keep his cool.' I thought. I never wanted this moment to end. I have never left this, loved before in a while. Even if it isn't because he loves me or something, it felt nice getting a hug from a friend.

1414 Words