I Wish I Hadn't Asked

I woke up pretty early the next morning, having only light sleep. I smelled slightly burnt pancakes and knew Peter was awake. I remembered last night and shot right out of bed. I made the bed, went to the bathroom to wash my face, then came out, still in my night clothes. Peter glanced up from concentrating on his pancakes, smiling at me.

"Good morning," he said casually.

"Good morning," I smiled back.

"Did you sleep well?" Peter asked me.

"What do you think?" I answered.

Peter shook his head and went back to his pancakes. A while later, they were made. He set them on the table and asked me to sit down. I did. It bothered me so much how un-bothered he was by what I told him. I was looking for answers, not stalling whatever happened.

I took two pancakes, poured chocolate syrup on it, and started playing with my food. There was just too much going on in my head. Peter placed his hand on top of mine to make me stop fiddling my fork around.

"Hey, I told you I would tell. Eat up," he insisted.

"How? I can't wait forever, Peter. I can't." I sighed and was about to leave the table. Peter stopped me and I sat back down still so aggravated over the issue.

"Alright. Sit through this whole thing. And try to understand. It may be too much too much grasp all at once. If it does, just tell me to shut up."

"Okay. so remember the friend I told you a little about? Roman?" Peter asked.

"Yeah..." I answered, taking one bite out of the pancake.

"Okay, I guess the best way to explain this to you is be as straightforward as I can. Don't scream. So- Roman's whole name is Roman Godfrey. Like the person Pryce-works-for Roman Godfrey. The one you saw last night. How we know each other is a story of its own. 

"Holy smokes. What?!?" I exclaimed in disbelief and also because my mind wasn't even registering the information.

"And last night you seeing him feed on blood was normal. For him. He is an upir," Peter said. After looking at my confused face he clarified, "An upir is sort of like a vampire, being they both feed on blood."

My jaw dropped right then and there, and I know my face was begging Peter to suddenly start laughing and telling me it was a joke. But his face was serious and I was speechless. 

"Don't freak out. It's just a thing he got from his mother Olivia. She's the villain here. It's all her damn fault. Her heart is pitch black, without any mercy, love, or good intentions. Hemlock Grove called her pretty, but trust me, she's anything but. And Roman can be too much to handle and sort of mean, but, he tries his best," Peter explained. "Olivia was an upir. She married JR Godfrey. Roman was her child born with a caul or evil. He was destined to be an upir some day. I knew it. Even before he realized it. But then, he turned one day. He tried to kill himself, but instead of dying, he turned into an upir. It's a daily struggle."

I dare not ask Peter why Mr. Godfrey tried to kill himself. Or where Mr. Godfrey got his blood. Or what made them both friends. Some things I just did not want to know. Especially not at this moment. This was overwhelming to me already, and I felt like I could not breathe.

"I guess if I told you that part, I should tell you about me. I am a werewolf. Don't worry. I don't hurt anyone at all. I just transform based on the moon and then turn back the next morning. Gypsy thing. I know this is all really, really freaky. But it's all good," Peter dropped in casually.

I just sat there in silence, gawking at Peter, moving away from him. How could this boy so causally just tell me all this. To him, it might be normal. To me, it is bizarre and the most absurd thing I have ever heard. I realized I had been living with a man that now claims to be a werewolf. And I technically work under the company of a vampire.